VMware Cloud Community
rhfritz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Converting RHEL WS 4.8 to run on vmware wks

I seem to be confused by the Converter's "Local Conversion" terminology. What I was somehow expecting was a tool to convert a running physical box to a vmware appliance. I was essentially expecting to generate some sort of image that would've been written onto a USB drive. Instead, the converter's destination types are all vmware infrastructure product types.

So as I now understand it, the easiest thing for me to do is run ESXi and converter in order to get from P2V?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

rhfritz,

Welcome to the VMware Community Forums.

As you have found out, a for a Linux physical to virtual conversion ... you must use ESX(i) as the destination. If this were a windows physical, you'd have the option to go directly to workstation.

>So as I now understand it, the easiest thing for me to do is run ESXi and converter in order to get from P2V?

Yes, that's about right.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

rhfritz,

Welcome to the VMware Community Forums.

As you have found out, a for a Linux physical to virtual conversion ... you must use ESX(i) as the destination. If this were a windows physical, you'd have the option to go directly to workstation.

>So as I now understand it, the easiest thing for me to do is run ESXi and converter in order to get from P2V?

Yes, that's about right.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can use a ESX-VM inside Workstation to work around this - Converter thinks that every target other than ESX is not worth the effort Smiley Wink

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos