VMware Cloud Community
aurimask
Contributor
Contributor

BSOD 0x7B after converting Windows 2003 Enterprise

Hello,

I need to P2V our Windows 2003 Server Enterprise. Ran the converter, it finished fine with 100% completed. When trying to boot server i got 0x7B error.

Specifically STOP 0x0000007B (0xF78AAA94, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Converter version 4.3.0 Standalone

During conversion left disk drivers as Source.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Have a look at the following article, it should help to sort out your problem  😃

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006295

Cheers

Waffle

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

are you able to login to safe mode and see if it works? from there uninstall any hardware vendor system software or any software that is no longer needed to that it's VM and try reboot again.

0 Kudos
aurimask
Contributor
Contributor

No, not able to boot into Safe mode.

Strange thing that my disks are converted as IDE. Maybe there is a problem.

I will try to inject VM SCSI drivers to source with all registry entries required and then convert again.

0 Kudos
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Yeah, that should do the trick...

I've done a load of work with the STOP 0x7B error in Windows when we were testing DR of Win2k on new hardware.  It is primarily caused by the criticadevicedatabase in the registry not have the information about the controller to which the boot disk is connected, and the driver not being present on the server.

Pre-installing the driver on the server is one method to ensure the server will boot after conversion, alternatively if you don't want to repeat the conversion, you could connect the vmdk to a different VM and modify the registry from another installation of Windows and copy the files over to the correct location. Naturally you would need to have the correct registry entries to do this, but these are detailed in the article:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1005208

Hope this helps

Waffle

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

coool. all you need to do is to change th control the SCSI and you should be able to boot up without reconverting. if it does not work try to rerun converter on that particular VM. good luck.

0 Kudos
aurimask
Contributor
Contributor

Solved by choosing LSI SCSI adapter type before conversion and converting again. Now boots with LSI Logic Parallel. Thanks.

0 Kudos