ESXI 2 :

HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 0 @ 2.40GHz

RAM : 48 Go

Storage : 2 TB

i created a cluster , activated HA and i have a VM of 16 Gb of ram

created fixed disks fully provisioned of C: 135 Go  E: 500 Go  F: 600 Go

so the VM is running on ESXI 2 and is currently using 1,21 To

so my problem is when activating the FT on this VM it stops with a message of : No Compatible Host for the Fault Tolerance secondary VM

and when i shut down the vm and activate the FT it works but when i start the VM it cannot start also

can anyone help me to view or debug the logs on why the Faul Tolerance can't be activated

and thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
coolirc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Again

After several days of test my friend came with a good idea wich is to test every separate vmdk on different datastore with enough free space to make sure it will let the creation of minimum double the size of the original vmdk of the primary vm ... after several hours of activating the FT it worked .

the resolution is to choose a datastore wich has a free space at least as the size of the vmdk .

i think that FT on Version 6.0 requires double space to create the secondary vmdk and after the creation is complete and FT enabled it will remain at the original size .

to be confirmed...

thanks to this article for the workaround or for the solution.

Secondary VM can't started if more than 4x 2 TB VMDKs are connected

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Do you have shared storage on both hosts, or are these 2TB per host local storage?You need shared storage for FT for the tiebreaker file and other meta-stuff even with vSphere 6.

Also you need to have both hosts licensed with at least Entperprise licensing if the VM has more than 1 vCPU.

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
coolirc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

yes they both have shared storage and each host has a 2TB FC storage attached to it .

for the licence it's an entreprise plus applied to both,  i already tested a small vm to make sure the FT works and it worked normally , unfortunately this VM has more RAM and more Disks that's why it didnt work and i suspect that i need at least 1,2 To of free space on each storage to work but i need to confirm .... the logs of events aren't very detailed so i can't tell .

thanks

0 Kudos
coolirc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

anyone can reply ? is the free space for the datastore need to be more than the used space by the VM ? i suspect the free space is'nt enough to create the second VM

i dedicated each host with a 1.3 To of disk so i think it will work but still i get the not enough space error message

0 Kudos
coolirc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Again

After several days of test my friend came with a good idea wich is to test every separate vmdk on different datastore with enough free space to make sure it will let the creation of minimum double the size of the original vmdk of the primary vm ... after several hours of activating the FT it worked .

the resolution is to choose a datastore wich has a free space at least as the size of the vmdk .

i think that FT on Version 6.0 requires double space to create the secondary vmdk and after the creation is complete and FT enabled it will remain at the original size .

to be confirmed...

thanks to this article for the workaround or for the solution.

Secondary VM can't started if more than 4x 2 TB VMDKs are connected

0 Kudos