VMware Cloud Community
medoimco
Contributor
Contributor

everyday storage bool size reduced, and i dont know why, i have to increase the storage size every day, Please some help me

everyday storage bool size reduced, and i dont know why, i have to increase the storage size every day, Please some help me

0 Kudos
33 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I don't know what you mean by HD mode. Can you please add more storage to this datastore? Like, a good bit more. We need to start cleaning up snapshots as that's what's consuming the space here since this is a database.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Also, where is the file list??

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Here are the steps to create the filelist.txt.

• Enable SSH on the ESXi Host
    --> Select the host in the vSphere Client
    --> Click the Configuration tab
    --> Click Security Profile in the Software pane
    --> Click "Properties ..." to edit the Service Properties
    --> Select SSH and enable it
  • Use e.g. putty to open a SSH connection to the ESXi host
  • login as root
  • enter cd /vmfs/volumes/DBVOL/MENA-DB to change to the VM's directory
  • enter ls -lisa > filelist.txt
  • enter exit to close the session
  • use the vSphere Client, and open the VM's folder on the Datastore Browser
  • download the filelist.txt file (you may need to click the Refresh if the file doesn't show up)

Attach the filelist.txt to a reply post

André

0 Kudos
medoimco
Contributor
Contributor

Hi andre

Thank you for guiding me , Please find the attached file, Please update me as soon as possible, currently the server shutdown completely and again showing no space.

Am waiting for your kind reply 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The file list shows that you currently have 10 active snapshots for the VM with sizes from 1.7GB up to 750GB!!

With the application you are running (a DB according to the VM's name), you should make sure that you only keep snapshots as long as really required.

Luckily, the VM's virtual disk is "Thick Provisioned", i.e. will not grow when snapshots are consolidated/deleted..

Some options to clean up this situation are:

1. manually clone the virtual disk to another datastore in a way that the snapshots are consolidated with the migration
  2. cleanly shut down the VM, and then run "Delete All" from the snapshot Manager (will require hours of downtime for the snapshots to be consolidated)
  3. delete the snapshot one-by-one from the Snapshot Manger, always deleting the oldest snapshot, i.e. the one next to the base "MENA-DB"

Options 1 and 2 require downtime until the complete consolidation is done.

If you decide to go with option 3. I still recommend that you delete the first 5 snapshots while the VM is powered off. This should free up ~400GB from the datastore. Once this is done, you may power on the VM, and proceed with running "Delete All" from the Snapshot Manager to delete/consolidate all other existing snapshots. Note that deleting the snapshots will considerable time, so please remain patient, and make absolutely sure that nothing/noone else tries to take another snapshot while the consolidation runs!

André

Edit:

Sorry I missed a digit in the file sizes. The VM's virtual disk seems to be "Thin Provisioned" so deleting the snapshots will grow the file size.

In this case, option 1 is basically the only, and safest way to get rid of the snapshots (except for e.g. backup/restore).

0 Kudos
medoimco
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much , i really appropriate your immediate support, i will do it then i will update you

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If you need/want help with cloning the virtual disk, please let me know.

André

0 Kudos
medoimco
Contributor
Contributor

HI

The issue still there

I have deleted all of the snapshot, i got only 150g GB not 400 GB ,

pastedImage_1.png

Now it's showing 146 GB

In addition the VM showing need to be consolidate

pastedImage_2.png

When am trying to do consolidate shows Insufficient space

pastedImage_3.png

Also the ESXI host showing the below

pastedImage_4.png

Please advise

shall we create new storage and migrate the VM to the new storage?

We have veeam, shall we recover from veeam or just clone the VM?

Thank You

Am waiting for your reply on urgent base

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

shall we create new storage and migrate the VM to the new storage?

We have veeam, shall we recover from veeam or just clone the VM?

Both options should work. If there's sufficient free disk space (~1TB) on another datastore, I'd suggest you power off the VM, do a full backup, and then restore it to the other datastore. Once done, ensure that the restored VM works as expected, and then - as the final step - delete the old VM.

This way the old/current VM will remain as is, and you will be able to revert to it in case the restore doesn't fails.

André

0 Kudos
medoimco
Contributor
Contributor

Hi andre

thank you for your support

It's working fine after cloning, But we have an issue with windows activation with the cloned VM

Please can you advice how to activated the new VM.

Thank You

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Can you please elaborate on what the issue is about?

Are you having issues with online activation?

Did you try an activation by phone?

What's the guest operating system, i.e. which Windows version?

André

0 Kudos
medoimco
Contributor
Contributor

Dear andre

Do you remember  in last time we were having and spacing issue on an VM, and we try to remove all the snapshot and we did consolidation to solve the issue

Finally the issue solved by do cloning the same VM to new storage, but we found the windows not activated however it was activated on the old VM

we can not activate over online or over phone, there is no option for that, Just need new key for activation.

i hope it is clear now .

Thank You

0 Kudos
medoimco
Contributor
Contributor

dear Andre

Windows version is windows server 2012 R2

Thank You once again

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I wonder why you'd need a new product key, don't you have the one which was used to activate that server?

Anyway, take a look at e.g. Activating a Windows 2012 R2 Server offline to see whether this helps.

André

0 Kudos