VMware Horizon Community
AntonioFra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

App Volumes 2.12 Disabling SSL and SSL Certificate Validation

Good afternoon,

I have installed App Volumes 2.12 with SSL Certificate Validation option.

Coul anybody tell me how to disable SSL and enable HTTP in to managers?

I read this:

Using SSL Certificates with App Volumes Manager (2148178) | VMware KB

I do not want to reinstall App Volues 2.12

Regards

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I don't think you have another option than removing the manager and install it again and make sure to select the option to also allow unsafe connections.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I don't think you have another option than removing the manager and install it again and make sure to select the option to also allow unsafe connections.

0 Kudos
FlexpodVDIGuy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I run into the same issue and looks like enable both port 80 and 443 was during the Manager installation. 2.12 defaulted to 443. You can tune the Manger1 and SSL setting in the registry for the client only. If you install the agent and use port 80, you still need to change the SSL setting to 0 in the registry or maybe that's because I'm reinstalling the agent in the same image.

I also remember on the agent install there was something about validate manager's SSL certificate box in the same place where you pick the ports. But since SSL wasn't working at all I just pick port 80 and didn't try that..

After agent talking to the manger, I try to provisioning the Appstack and capture new app, I've run into another issue that the agent looks like starting up way too fast and failed to connect to the manager "

Connection Error (xx) Unable to contact App Volumes Manager.Virtualization is dsabled" after capture and reboot, but if you manually restarted it will connect to the manger without an error. The 1st failed cause the capture in the manager failed. I try to put the svservice to automatically delay but it won't let me.

BTW, I capture the logs by using loginsight in both the Manager and Agents but the logs are useless.

I have another client see excellent performance with 2.12 reduce from 9 seconds to 4 seconds. so I'm thinking using the 2.11 agent to capture applications and see if this route works.

All in all, there are bugs in this release but I'm sure we can overcome that.

szilagyic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Why would you want to do this?

Even though the documentation says to import a CA provided cert, you can still use the self-generated cert.  When you install the AppVol Agent, there's an option to skip cert validation so that it won't be an issue.

0 Kudos
AntonioFra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I want to do this because y read:

Disabling SSL and SSL Certificate Validation    

You can disable SSL communication and SSL certificate validation between App Volumes agent and manager.

You can disable only SSL certificate validation. In such a scenario, the certificate is not validated but communication still occurs over SSL.

Note: You must disable SSL on both the App Volumes Manager and agent.

Enable an HTTP Connection in App Volumes Manager      

You can disable SSL communication and enable an HTTP connection when you are installing App Volumes Manager.

You might want to disable SSL communication, for example, when you upgrade App Volumes to the latest version, and want to install and test App Volumes immediately without configuring SSL certificates.

You might also disable SSL communication if you are running App Volumes Manager behind a load balancer.

I want to do that because I'm going to use a balancer

Regards

0 Kudos
AntonioFra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did it, and using 80 port, disabling SSL.

Regards

0 Kudos
AntonioFra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I reistalled App Volumes 2.12 using por 80 and disabling SSL.

I reinstalled the Agent too. Using por 80 and on register trying  SSL 1 OR 0

Capturing works

But now capturing i have this error: Always on reboot erro 500.

capturing ok but error 500

image002.jpg

Regards

0 Kudos
FlexpodVDIGuy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey look at the bright side, you did better than me, when I have this message with port 80. My capture failed.

I end up get the SSL working and capture also works but still getting the same message like you have (same result in both port 80 and 443, but port 80 will failed the capture)

It's fair to say - there is a bug in 2.12 now has TWO counts

0 Kudos
FlexpodVDIGuy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

While I was troubleshooting UEM with VMware, the guy happen to be also an App Volumes expert. I got the answer for your last question.

You have to use domain account to login to the VM that you want to capture the applications. The 500 error was not a connection error but it was an authentication error.

App Volumes use AD authentication so if you login as local admin like I did then you will see this error.