VMware Communities
markey165
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Upcoming Migration To Broadcom Communites

Hi all,

As we approach the migration from VMware Communities to Broadcom Communities, I had a couple of questions:

1. Will existing forum content be migrated, or are we starting afresh? Hoping the former as it would be a shame to lose all that content.
  2. If we have any issues during the migration , is there a route for assistance?

I was one of those that lost everything (username became disconnected from profile) during the Nov 2020 upgrade. No one was able to help, and i had to start again ☹️, so i'm super wary now!

Accepted Solutions
Shen88
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

@markey165,

1. Yes, all the existing content with badges etc. will be migrated provided you're an active user (to be logged in before April 19th to retain account data) which you've already done. Just the inactive accounts that haven’t been logged in for the past 2 years won’t be migrated.

The only action is to reset your password when prompted on May 6th to access your migrated account, complete with all data, points, and badges.

2. I see the moderators or community managers will the POC for any queries or concerns.

Please read through the full article with details to this topic and there's a link at the end to reach the community manager too.
https://blogs.vmware.com/vmtn/2024/04/a-new-era-for-vmware-communities-we-are-integrating-with-broad...

If you think your queries have been answered, Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" and consider giving kudos to appreciate!

Regards,
Shen

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Shen88
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

@markey165,

1. Yes, all the existing content with badges etc. will be migrated provided you're an active user (to be logged in before April 19th to retain account data) which you've already done. Just the inactive accounts that haven’t been logged in for the past 2 years won’t be migrated.

The only action is to reset your password when prompted on May 6th to access your migrated account, complete with all data, points, and badges.

2. I see the moderators or community managers will the POC for any queries or concerns.

Please read through the full article with details to this topic and there's a link at the end to reach the community manager too.
https://blogs.vmware.com/vmtn/2024/04/a-new-era-for-vmware-communities-we-are-integrating-with-broad...

If you think your queries have been answered, Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" and consider giving kudos to appreciate!

Regards,
Shen
markey165
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

@Shen88 - Yes that's the blog i read that led to my questions 😊

I also saw the contact link, however its a link to Julia's profile on VMTN, which goes read only on the 19th April. I assumed it possible that contacting members on VMTN won't work after that date, hence my 2nd question 🙂

Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

While the site is dark, you can reach Julia, and the communities team at this distro: CommunityGroup.pdl@broadcom.com 

If you don't get a response, my email is: franky.barragan@broadcom.com and I can help get Julia or the moderators to assist. I don't want to volunteer anyone else's contact info w/o permission 🙂  

markey165
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks @Franky-Barragan that's really helpful 👌

I'm sure all will be fine, but having lost everything before, i'm just a bit more wary 😄

Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Hi All,

We will also have a way to DM the manager in the new community. Between April 19th and May 6th, while the old VMTN Community is frozen and your profile hasn't migrated yet, feel free to reach out to julia.klaus@broadcom.com. If you are a Broadcom employee, you can reach out to me on Google Chat. After we go live on Higher Logic, you can find my profile and DM me as you can do here.

Best

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 10.08.13 PM.png

 Thanks @Franky-Barragan for jumping in! 

0 Kudos
JuliaVMTN
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

I was one of those that lost everything (username became disconnected from profile) during the Nov 2020 upgrade. No one was able to help, and i had to start again ☹️, so i'm super wary now!

We are currently working on migrating each profile that has logged in within the last two years. While it's unlikely that someone will lose all their data, if that were to happen, we have a contingency plan in place. We'll keep a back door open with Khoros so we can access old files if needed, although it's not ideal. If you lost your data because you didn't log in, you'll unfortunately need to restart your profile from scratch. We've got you covered. Please feel free to reach out to me via email, and I'll be happy to assist you or point you in the right direction.

Shen88
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

@JuliaVMTN,

By the way the new profile on Broadcom community site looks great, can't wait to look forward to my profile on the new site!

Regards,
Shen
markey165
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi @JuliaVMTN - I'm a regular user, so it wasn't due to being inactive. For some reason, on logging in after the upgrade, my profile history was gone, there were several members (on the thread i linked to) with the same problem (I was ccsmse). Someone called Jenny kindly did her best to help, but sadly it never did get resolved ☹️.

But hey, all in the past now 😊, Hope the migration to Broadcom Communities goes well, and thanks for the contact routes for anyone that might need them.