VMware Cloud Community
twt8080
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

adding dswitch to host fails

In our vSphere Datacenter we have 2 dSwitch we use to segregate MTU 9000 traffic and regular vm traffic. We are introducing new hosts that don't match the current hardware. The existing hosts have 9 nics, the new hosts have 6 nics.

When this project started we were on esxi 6.5 and I was able to bind a new host to the existing dSwitch and tweak the adapters based on dedicated network workloads and everything worked great! 

The servers and vcenter are now upgrade to 7.0.X and I not able to add an new host to the existing dSwitches. 

The issue I'm having is that when I'm at step 3  of the "Add and Manage Host" dialogue, under the "adapter per host" option, I select the host and them in the dialogue "Add or remove physical network adapters to this distributed switch." I cannot proceed any further. Any attempts to assign an uplink fails and I can't go any further. There are no warnings or error; the next option is simply not available.  

If I restart the operation, and select the host and  "adapter on all hosts" I can read the following disclaimer "To associate a physical network adapter with an uplink, use "Assign uplink". This assignment would be applied to all the hosts that have the same physical network adapter available." I don't want to affect the existing hosts with the addition of this host... Am I reading this wrong? I don't remember this scary disclaimer when I added the new and non matching host a few months ago... 

Please help 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
twt8080
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to resolve my issue. The dialog box is misleading. When you add a server, the change don't affect the servers in production. I guess I knew that, but the UI changed... I needed to make sure. 

You know... measure twice and cut ones 😉 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
twt8080
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to resolve my issue. The dialog box is misleading. When you add a server, the change don't affect the servers in production. I guess I knew that, but the UI changed... I needed to make sure. 

You know... measure twice and cut ones 😉 

0 Kudos