VMware Cloud Community
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Virtual Adapters in vNetwork Distributed Switch

Trying to get my head around virtual adapters in the distributed switch.

In standard switches I understand the hierarchy like this:

vSwitch (top level)

port groups (including kernel) (2nd level)

physical adapters (same as "vmnic..") (attach to vSwitch)

I don't understand the hiearchy for the distributed switches. The use of the term virtual adapter is throwing me for a loop. I view the term virtual adapter as something you "attach" to something (vswitch etc..), not something you add. For example, when I go into manage virtual adapters and select migrate existing adapters I am giving the choice of console and vmotion. I view console and vmotion as port groups and not virtual adapters. Any help on understanding this would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevenbright1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

From page 36 of the the ESX Configuration Guide (http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40_u1/vsp_40_u1_esx_server_config.pdf):

Virtual network adapters handle host network services over a vNetwork Distributed Switch.

You can configure service console and VMkernel virtual adapters for an ESX host through an associated

vNetwork Distributed Switch either by creating new virtual adapters or migrating existing virtual adapters.

When you migrate a virtual network adapter, you would be migrating the service console or VMkernel from a standard vSwitch to a Port Group within the vNetwork Distributed Switch.

-

If you have found the information in this post useful, please award the appropriate points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

follow up question..., is "console" virtual adapter type not available because a console port group exists on the standard switch? - see image.

per esx config guide:

Create a Service Console Network Adapter on a vNetwork Distributed Switch

Create a service console network adapter on a vNetwork Distributed Switch from the configuration page of

an associated host.

Procedure

1 Log in to the vSphere Client and select the host from the inventory panel.

2 Click the Configuration tab and click Networking.

3 Select the vNetwork Distributed Switch view.

4 Click Manage Virtual Adapters.

5 Click Add.

6 Select New virtual adapter, and click Next.

7 Select Service Console, and click Next.

8 Under Network Connection, select the vNetwork Distributed Switch and the associated port group, or

select the standalone port to which to add this virtual adapter.

9 Enter the IP address and subnet mask, or select Obtain IP setting automatically.

10 Click Edit to set the service console default gateway.

11 Click Next.

12 Click Finish.

0 Kudos
stevenbright1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

From page 36 of the the ESX Configuration Guide (http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40_u1/vsp_40_u1_esx_server_config.pdf):

Virtual network adapters handle host network services over a vNetwork Distributed Switch.

You can configure service console and VMkernel virtual adapters for an ESX host through an associated

vNetwork Distributed Switch either by creating new virtual adapters or migrating existing virtual adapters.

When you migrate a virtual network adapter, you would be migrating the service console or VMkernel from a standard vSwitch to a Port Group within the vNetwork Distributed Switch.

-

If you have found the information in this post useful, please award the appropriate points.

0 Kudos