VMware Cloud Community
J-D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMXNET3 in templates?

Hi,

we are still using E1000 driver for our Windows 2008 Server VM's. We are considering changing our master templates and putting the VMXNET3 driver in it. This will make every new VM have the newest NIC.

Is that what you guys use? I read there were issues with VMXNET3 like not being able to use FT....well I can always use VMXNET2 which also seems newer.

Do you guys tune the driver, like enable RSS in it?

About upgrading an existing VM with the E1000 driver. Is the process:

- shutdown VM

- remove E1000 NIC

- add VMXNET NIC

- boot VM and reconfigure IP address?

There is no fast upgrade path?

TIA.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
thakala
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

We use VMXNET3 on all VMs possible, it has significant performance gain over E1000, we have it embedded into templates. As previous poster we do not tune VMXNET3 settings at all, we leave them as default, and I recommend you to do same.

My recommendation for E1000 swap to VMXNET3 process is

1. Set E1000 IP to dynamic

2. Shutdown VM

3. Remove E1000 NIC

4. Add VMXNET3 NIC

5. Boot VM and reconfigure IP address

6. Open cmd.exe and execute

"set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1"
"devmgmt.msc"

In device management

1. Select "show hidden devices" on the Device Manager View menu

2. Uninstall removed e1000 device

I agree it is a bit cumbersome but there is no, to my knowledge at least, any easier way.

Tomi http://v-reality.info

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

we are still using E1000 driver for our Windows 2008 Server VM's. We are considering changing our master templates and putting the VMXNET3 driver in it. This will make every new VM have the newest NIC.

Is that what you guys use?

I use the vmxnet3 driver for Windows 2008, because there have been problems with the e1000 and dropped packets. I have seen this problem in 64-bit versions of Windows 2008 only, so that is why I use the vmxnet3 driver here.

I read there were issues with VMXNET3 like not being able to use FT....well I can always use VMXNET2 which also seems newer.

VMXNET3 is supported for use with FT in vSphere 4.1, but earlier versions won't work. VMXNET2 isn't supported in Windows 2008.

Do you guys tune the driver, like enable RSS in it?

I leave it with the defaults.

About upgrading an existing VM with the E1000 driver. Is the process:

- shutdown VM

- remove E1000 NIC

- add VMXNET NIC

- boot VM and reconfigure IP address?

There is no fast upgrade path?

That is the approach I take.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
thakala
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

We use VMXNET3 on all VMs possible, it has significant performance gain over E1000, we have it embedded into templates. As previous poster we do not tune VMXNET3 settings at all, we leave them as default, and I recommend you to do same.

My recommendation for E1000 swap to VMXNET3 process is

1. Set E1000 IP to dynamic

2. Shutdown VM

3. Remove E1000 NIC

4. Add VMXNET3 NIC

5. Boot VM and reconfigure IP address

6. Open cmd.exe and execute

"set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1"
"devmgmt.msc"

In device management

1. Select "show hidden devices" on the Device Manager View menu

2. Uninstall removed e1000 device

I agree it is a bit cumbersome but there is no, to my knowledge at least, any easier way.

Tomi http://v-reality.info
0 Kudos