VMware Cloud Community
frcouture
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere 5.0 and 5.5 ESXi cluster

Hello,

We are planning to upgrade from vSphere 5.0 to 5.5 in 2015.  We are actually in a process of buying new servers and I would like to know if I can have both ESXi 5.0 and ESXi 5.5 in the same cluster.  If it is possible I will vMotion the VMs from ESXi 5.0 servers to ESXi 5.5 servers and get the ESXi 5.0 out of the cluster.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, you will have to upgrade vCenter to 5.5 first and you cannot upgrade the virtual hardware past version 9 until all hosts have been upgraded.  Also, you cannot upgrade the datastores to VMFS5 until all hosts have been upgraded. 

Hope this helps...

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, you will have to upgrade vCenter to 5.5 first and you cannot upgrade the virtual hardware past version 9 until all hosts have been upgraded.  Also, you cannot upgrade the datastores to VMFS5 until all hosts have been upgraded. 

Hope this helps...

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
vfk
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, you can have a mixed cluster of vSphere 5.0 and vSphere 5.5

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
frcouture
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you Ben for your answer.

We also use Site Recovery Manager as our solution for disaster recovery.  I understand that I must upgrade vCenter first.  Do you recommend to upgrade SRM after or before ESXi Servers?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

SRM gets upgraded first.  Here's a KB article that lists the order to upgrade...

VMware KB: Update sequence for vSphere 5.5 and its compatible VMware products

Also, here's a KB with 5.5 best practices.

VMware KB: Upgrading to vCenter Server 5.5 best practices

0 Kudos
frcouture
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We have two vCenter servers in linked mode on two physical sites.  Should I break the linked mode before upgrading the vCenter servers and reconfigure it after the upgrade?

Thank you.

0 Kudos