VMware Cloud Community
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

upgrade of license keys for 7

Hello,

We are running versions 6.5 ESXi/vCenter in production for several years now.  We are building out a new system with new hardware for version 7.  The 60 days evaluation is a challenge to build and migrate all the VMs due to staffing and the pandemic.

My question is can I upgrade the license to 7 on the portal and run both 6.5 and 7 versions at the same time (concurrently) until our migration is done?  Doing this won't cause our 6.5 production issues?

Thanks,

TT

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

This may work from a technical point of view, but you will be violating the VMware EULA.
The better option is to reach out to your reseller, or a VMware representative, and ask for an expanded evaluation license.

Also remember to check any 3rd party applications like Backup, so that you don't run into issues with them during the migration phase.

André

tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried calling technical support but they told me to reach out to the virtual assistance.  So I had a chat with the virtual assistance person and they told me I could upgrade the keys and do that. 

I will reach out the reseller or VMware representative to get a final confirmation.

0 Kudos
vTara
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi tractng,

You can follow the steps mentioned in this kb article to upgrade the license key.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/81665

Hope this helps!

Regards

Tami

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi @tractng 

You can upgrade your keys in myVMware portal as shown in KB https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/81665. Upgrading your existing keys will generate you new vSphere 7 keys. So existing keys are not affected so nothing will happen to your production.

Regards

Daniel

mbufkin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You should be able to upgrade your keys in the portal if you have the permissions necessary for that task.

tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks stadi13,

Just making sure the helicopter with the VMware logo doesn't come and shut our 6.5 version in production down if we run short on time for the migration to version 7.

TT

0 Kudos