VMware Cloud Community
Suloveoun
Contributor
Contributor

"No Network Adapter" were detected while installing VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5.5

Hi all,

I am new to Visualization and now is testing VMware vSphere® Hypervisor 5.5.

My first problem is while I installing VMware vSphere® Hypervisor in the middle of progress it shows me the error message that "No Network Adapter", could you all give me some suggestions.

The fact in my PC RAM 8G, CPU i3, Network on-board Gigabit, Another one is TP-link are all work properly.

Really appreciate all of you reply.

Error Message:

"No Network Adapters"

No network adapters were detected. Either no network adapter are physically connected to the system, or a suitable driver could not be located. A third party driver may be required.

Ensure that there is at least one network adapter physically connected to the system before attempting installation. If the problem persists, consult the VMware Knowledge base.

Tags (2)
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

the Hypervisor/ESXi is built for server hardware, and therefore has a limited set of supported drivers. For supported hardware (devices) take a look at the VMware Compatibility Guide. Anyway, there are some additional drivers available on the Internet. Once you know which exact network adapter (including the chipset) you have, check whether an appropriate driver is available and add it to the ESXi installation image. For some available drivers as well as a tool to inject the driver into the installation image, see e.g. http://vibsdepot.v-front.de/.

André

iiToby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi and Welcome,

André is correct if you are installing ESXi on a "whitebox" system it is a little bit tricky to get going. You will need to inject drivers in to the installation and then install it.

An alternative is to install Windows back on the machine you want to run ESXi on and run it inside of VMware Workstation as an embedded hypervisor, while this will certainly not be quite as quick as installing it directly onto the PC, it will allow you to experiment with ESXi in a virtual environment.

This will also allow you to run 2 ESXi and possibly a vCenter, however you are going to run out of I/O and vMEM pretty quick with only 8 GB and no SSD

Have fun

@iiToby