VMware Cloud Community
seanhsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vsphere ESX cannot communicate with FC SAN

Hello,

This is a fibre channell issue where the SAN cannot communicate with two esx hosts.

Environement

New Build of Vsphere 4 on HP DL380G6 with HP AP767-63001 (Brocade-815)

There are two servers that are identically configured

Installed driver during the install and the Brocade HBA appears under storage adaptors

The SAN is an EMC AX4-5 using FC connection direct from SAN to the HBA on the ESX servers

within Navisphere the SNA reports that the fibre is auto-detecting and is connected at 4GB

A visual inspection of the cables shows that they are connected

The HBA is generating light down the cable

The SAN is generating light down the cable

Both servers have the identicle problem

All equipment is supported by vsphere and the HBA is supported by EMC

The issue

The SAN cannot detect any servers to connect and allow access to LUN's and of course the ESX host cannot detect any targest

The question

Is there any configurable items in vsphere that could address this (I think No!) or if anyone has seen this before.

I am left with,

Wrong cables - although it is detecting at 4GB

Bios update on the HBA or SAN

Any Ideas or suggestions for action to take appreciated

Regards

Sean

0 Kudos
5 Replies
innocentGBB
Contributor
Contributor

The problem might most likely be masking on the Brocade switch, have you added your zoned configurations to the saved configuration list on the switch. this has to be the last step.

Also confirm that you see your esx host on the navisphere hosts list with the correct IP addresses.

let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

The problem might most likely be masking on the Brocade switch, have you added your zoned configurations to the saved configuration list on the switch.

There's no switch. He wrote: The SAN is an EMC AX4-5 using FC connection direct from SAN to the HBA on the ESX servers

You have created a Storage Group and added the (ESX) hosts to it?

Which LUN's do you use? I know that at least with older Clariions there were LUN ranges which shouldn't be be used (6 up to 15 if I remember that correctly).

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
innocentGBB
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Awo for pointing that out, I took the HBA brocade for brocade switch.....its purely an oversight.

He needs to confirm if the ESX hosts appear correctly on the Navisphere. That will assure of the connectivity.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Is there any configurable items in vsphere that could address this (I think No!) or if anyone has seen this before.

No there isn't.

Try to put HBA (in relative BIOS) with a fixed speed (4 Gb) and check if there is some configuration for link topology.

As you see, in connectivity status of Navisphere Express you not see any WWN?

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
seanhsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the feedback and assistance.

One of our storage engineers has re-checked the compatiblity matrix. The issue turned out to be one of compatibility independent of the Vsphere. The Brocade 415 is only supported with the AX5 in conjunction with a FC Switch and does not work when directly connected.

Cheers

Sean

0 Kudos