VMware Cloud Community
drake3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade to ESXi 4 failed or crashed - no guest tools or viclient.exe

Hi All,

I was trying to upgrade my home ESXi server from 3.5 to 4 with the Host Update Utility 4.

It seems I had my primary management interface on an older network card that is no longer supported by ESXi4.

So when the machine rebooted it could not find the network - but seemed to boot version 4 OK.

I had a secondary network card installed which the system still could see (intel 1000 gt) and moved the managment network back over to that one through the console interface, however, none of the guest tools are installed and the vmware-viclient.exe is not on the machine. I am guessing these get unpacked later in the upgrade process?

My question is can I run the host update utility again and run another upgrade with the zip package again?

Or any other recommendations to fix the failed upgrade?

Just wondering before I really screw things up.

Thanks for any help.

Paul.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can run the update utility again. I have done it on several occasions where part of an update or patch failed. If I remember running the VI 2.5 client against a 4 host will upgrade the VI client and I think it downloads from vmware not the host. May be wrong. If you can download the 4 client and install the new update utility. You may be able to extract it from the ESXi ISO image as well.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can run the update utility again. I have done it on several occasions where part of an update or patch failed. If I remember running the VI 2.5 client against a 4 host will upgrade the VI client and I think it downloads from vmware not the host. May be wrong. If you can download the 4 client and install the new update utility. You may be able to extract it from the ESXi ISO image as well.

0 Kudos
drake3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply - That worked!

It saw the tools and client was not there and just finished the upgrade.

Everything looks good now.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Great.

0 Kudos