Contributor
Contributor

Migrating Project

Hello all !

I have an migrating project :

Existant : My client have 2 esxi 3.5 with local storage on each server. no more

Migrating Project :

- Install an SAN FC, Switch FC and HBA to the server >>> It's no the problem

- Install Vsphere vCenter 4 and migrate the 2 ESXi 3.5 host server to ESX 4 (no i) >>> it's the problem, because i don't know if it's possible. My research on Vmware site haven't any responses...

If it's possible to migrate esxi 3.5 to ESX 4, i think to install before Vcenter 4 on an physical server , migrate the data storage local to the SAN, and after upgrade my 2 esxi 3.5 with Update Manager 4 vcenter module.

Is it possible to make an hot upgrade ESXi 3.5 server to ESX 4 with no VMs interrupt ?

Is it correct or is it more comfortable to use Vsphere client Update utility ?

Thank a lot for your help !

Dave

0 Kudos
3 Replies
brettparlier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dave,

It would seem you could upgrade the hosts one at a time. Move you data to the SAN, upgrade one host, add them both to your new VC and vMotion all guests from the old host, once this is complete...upgrade the remaining host. This method should minimize your downtime at least, and since you can manage all of your hosts from the same VC it should be fairly easy. The only downtime I think you would see would be moving all the VM's to the new shared storage.

Brett Parlier
0 Kudos
Apollyon
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer

On the new licences i have only HA and no Vmotion, perhaps, i think to replicate server to san with Veeam backup & replication.

Have you allready use this solution ?

0 Kudos
brettparlier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you are unable to use vMotion, once you get the machines to the SAN you can introduce the LUN's to the new host and add the VM's to the new inventory.

Brett Parlier
0 Kudos