VMware Cloud Community
MariusRoma
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Cluster with different ESXi versions - vCenter version

I have a cluster with 2 ESXi 5.0.0 nodes.

I plan to upgrade one of the 2 nodes to ESXi 5.5 U2 by inserting the ESXi 5.5 U2 CD in the host's CD drive and performing an upgrade: is there any issue I should consider?

For some days/weeks I cannot upgrade the second node.

Is there any issue if one of the 2 nodes i ESXi 5.0.0 and the other one is 5.5 U2?

I plan to upgrade my vCenter as well after upgrading the 2 nodes. Where can I see the version of the vCenter (a virtual Windows VM)?

Regards

marius

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Marius,

Yes, connect your vSphere Client to your vCenter Server.

In the inventory on the left click on the vCenter Server. The version and build number will be shown then in the main tab on the right.

Tim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

you need to upgrade your vCenter serve before you upgrade your hosts, otherwise you can't manage those ESXi anymore.

you can see what vCenter version works with what ESXi version here:

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/sim/interop_matrix.php

Also take a look at the update sequence:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2057795

Mixing different ESXi server versions in a cluster is supported, but you can of course only use licensed features that are common to all hosts.

You can see your vCenter Server version when you connect to it with the web client or the C# client. Select the vCenter server. The C# client will show the version and build in the top. The web client shows it in the summary tab.

Tim

MariusRoma
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thank you for the quick answer!

We use the vSphere client: is there any way to see the vCenter version from it or by logging on the vCenter VM?

Regards

marius

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Marius,

Yes, connect your vSphere Client to your vCenter Server.

In the inventory on the left click on the vCenter Server. The version and build number will be shown then in the main tab on the right.

Tim

0 Kudos