VMware Cloud Community
ron9999
Contributor
Contributor

Change existing vCenter Server to link mode

Hello together.

At the moment we have six separate vCenter server. Our plan is to chang the configuration to link mode and creating a new "master" vCenter server for central login and connection. Is this useful or unnecessary?

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks for answers.

Best regards.

ron9999

0 Kudos
2 Replies
PrasannaGV
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It is very useful to link all the vCenter servers and maintaining from one location. While installing the vCenter server, you get an option to join the server. There if you mention the IP address, then it will link the servers. You can see both listed. Before linking vCenter server, add the IP address and host name in hosts file.

0 Kudos
brettparlier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just an opinion, I think linked mode is one of the more useful tools you can use. It can greatly decrease the headache of logging in to a lot of different servers to maintain your environment, if you only log into one then your time for troubleshooting is less, recovery of a VM could be faster...and your IT staff can actually be more productive if they can view and manage all of your VM's in a songle view. Short answer, I think it would be extremely useful.

Brett Parlier