VMware Cloud Community
Shawn84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can not install the ESX4.0 (Free Trial)

Can not install the ESX4.0 (Free Trial) on an Intel motherboard PC

This PC (host A) is a box we used for install ESX 3.5. Mother board is Intel D975XBX2 and CPU is Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz. I have updated the BIOS to the latest one and its memory is 8G. ESX 3.5 can run on it very well.

I download the ESX-4.0.0-update01-208167.iso and burn it to a bootable DVD. I have checked the MD5 and it’s correct. I have a VMware Workstation 7 in another PC, and I can install ESX 4.0 in a VM in VMware Workstation 7 with this DVD.

But when I try to install ESX4.0 (with this DVD) on host A, the install stopped at 26% Complete – Installing Packages

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What's the optical drive you're using to do the install with? Just for grins, double check to make sure it's a dvd-rom (at least). I had issues installing onto one older piece of hardware due to it actually only having a cd reader (no dvd read ability). It would boot from the media, but fail during the install (not sure how it could, but it did)...

Since ESXi 4 does install, you could just opt for that version. You can get the console (on host) enabled through the directions here (includes SSH access)... I did it on my ESXi host and then just use putty to open a connection to it for running commands. The main site (http://vm-help.com/index.html) has some additional good information on it.. Worth looking at if nothing else.

You can also use the vMA appliance, install the PowerCLI software and even the vSphereCLI if you want to...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Is the Intel Virtualization bios item enabled? Is the storage controller on the HCL (for version 4)?

Just because it ran ESX 3.5 doesn't guarantee you'll be able to run ESX/ESXi 4 on the same hardware.

Is the other system identical (down to the smallest detail) or something different? How about a link for that mobo??

UWB's site shows the Q6600 only working with ESX/ESXi 3.5, not 4...

VMware VCP4

savantsingh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sounds like a compatibility issue. If your hardware is not on the HCL try ESX4i's HCL.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What are you using for storage inside this potential host server? Have you also tried with ESXi 4?

It does sound like hardware that's not compatible with ESX/ESXi 4.. Such as the Marvell NIC, ICH7R chipset, and more (like the previously mentioned processor)...

While that's probably a good mobo for a desktop system, it's no server class/grade board. In what I was able to pull up online, none of the bios screen shots/images showed any virtualization settings. Not really surprised considering how the review was from 2007.

VMware VCP4

0 Kudos
Shawn84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you very much, Golddiggie

I tried to install ESXi4 (VMware-VMvisor-Installer-4.0.0.Update01-208167.x86_64.iso) in this box yesterday, and everything is fine.

In this host, there are 3 Intel NICs and can be recognized by ESX 4 install program.

I also have some screen shots which can provide more information about this issue.

(I do hope this is not a HCL issue. Because this is the only host I can test)

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What's the optical drive you're using to do the install with? Just for grins, double check to make sure it's a dvd-rom (at least). I had issues installing onto one older piece of hardware due to it actually only having a cd reader (no dvd read ability). It would boot from the media, but fail during the install (not sure how it could, but it did)...

Since ESXi 4 does install, you could just opt for that version. You can get the console (on host) enabled through the directions here (includes SSH access)... I did it on my ESXi host and then just use putty to open a connection to it for running commands. The main site (http://vm-help.com/index.html) has some additional good information on it.. Worth looking at if nothing else.

You can also use the vMA appliance, install the PowerCLI software and even the vSphereCLI if you want to...

VMware VCP4

0 Kudos
Shawn84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good afternoon, Golddiggie

I tried an USB external DVD drive and I can install ESX4.0 in this host successfully. Thank you very very very …very Much.

It’s not a HCL issue and we saved a lot of money Smiley Happy

Thanks again.

0 Kudos