VMware Cloud Community
Cortana
Contributor
Contributor

(Another) vCenter 6.0 > 6.5 VCSA Failed Upgrade

Hi

Wonder if anyone could offer some advice with a failed vCenter upgrade and migration?

I'm trying to go from vCenter 6.0 U2 running on Windows 2012 R2, to the 6.5 Virtual Appliance.

For simplicity, I'm using the same hostname and IP address as my original vCenter in my 6.5 VCSA. I've renamed the original vCenter VM on the ESX host so that the VCSA can be created with the original name.

Stage 1 - Goes without issue, I start the migration assistant on 6.0 which runs the pre-checks and I then deploy the Virtual Appliance, everything is good and this completes without any warnings or errors.

Stage 2 - I get a vROM Plug-in warning which is fine and I Ok through this, then complete the rest of the configuration. The Virtual Appliance carries out the rest of the configuration and my 6.0 vCenter gracefully shuts down as expected after the network configuration completes. However, during Task 2 of Stage 2 ("Set up target vCenter and start services") all looks good initially, but when it tries to start "VMware Component Manager", it errors and fails.

I've taken a few screenshots I think are of use and attached them. I can take more if required.

I delete the newly created and failed VCSA as it is useless and I bring up my 6.0 one to investigate ....

I've attached a .zip file with a few screenshots. Image "Stage 2.3 - Error.jpg" mentions it is unable to add a solution user or administrator to the SSO component manager. When I log into the vCenter 6.0 with the default administrator account (administrator@vsphere.local) I notice this account has no permissions within the SSO area and everything is greyed out and un-configurable. If I log in with a domain based admin account, it has even less permissions and is unable to even view SSO (it just shows a blank grey screen with a permissions error).

I'm stumped with this. If anyone can offer some advice, it would be much appreciated

Regards

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

Did you checked below KB and followed proper steps on upgrading

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=21475...

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=21476...

VMware vSphere 6.5 Documentation Library

Regards to vROM , check the version compatibility , if it not supporting please remove and try . Later you can upgrade and check .

Upgrade Steps # https://miketabor.com/upgrade-vcenter-server-appliance-6-0-to-6-5/

Also verify the time on the VC and ESXi host you are going deploy the VM .

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
Cortana
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Raj

Thanks for the advice. My vCenter setup is very basic, and only manages 3 hosts, there is very little configuration in it, and I'm half tempted to just kill it and start again with a clean version. The only reason I've not done that is because my Citrix platform runs through it, and I don't want the hassle of having to reconfigure that just because I've changed vCenter (hence why I'm keeping the same hostname / IP).

Time sync is fine, I have an authoritative time server. vROM is the latest version, 6.4. I'm not bothered about those warnings, and that's an easy fix when I eventually complete the upgrade / migration if it needs action.

I've reviewed multiple different blogs on how to carry out the upgrade, they're all ultimately the same with different screenshots and wording, but the process is the same regardless of who carries it out, and overall it's a really easy.

The upgrade is failing because of a permission issue, it can't create an account. And when I look at the SSO permissions of the administrator@vsphere.local account (which should have access to everything) it is all greyed out and un-configurable, which surely it shouldn't be? ...

Regards

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

You may login to VC using administrator@vsphere .local   and check .

Also you provide administrator access to user which you need there , it might work

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
Cortana
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Raj

That's my problem. I can log in with that account (administrator@vsphere.local) but it doesn't have permissions for SSO, they're all grayed out and I can't see any way to grant them. The default local administrator, should automatically have access to everything shouldn't it?

I've also logged in with a domain based admin account that is sposed to have the same privileges as the local administrator (it's in the same local vCenter groups), but the SSO screen is completely gray and tells me I do not have permissions to even view the options.

There are some screenshots attached in my first post above that will show you exactly what I'm seeing. How do you grant the administrator account permissions it should already have?

Regards

0 Kudos
Msutton09
Contributor
Contributor

Was this ever resolved?  I have the same issues with all my SSO accounts adminstrator@vsphere.local and all AD Admin accounts.  I do not see SSO or licensing.

0 Kudos