VMware Cloud Community
LisaGarner
Contributor
Contributor

Acceleration Kit installation

Hi,

I have a client that purchased the Enterprise + Acceleration kit in Oct 23 through Dell.

Their Essentials + license expired in 2021.

Dell began with partner to get this upgrade in place, but were unaware that their essentials + kit has to be active to be able to redeem the PAC key.

First question - is this true they can't install their new kits without an active license?

Second question - if the first is true, what routes can they take to get this solved?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> but were unaware that their essentials + kit has to be active to be able to redeem the PAC key.
To be honest, I never heard something like this.

VMware closed the self service PAC activation portal in January after the takeover by Broadcom.

If you have PAC licenses, you can have them activated/redeemed through a support case with VMware.

André

0 Kudos
LisaGarner
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! I thought it sounded strange.

When they reached out to support they received this message:

Please note that the vSphere Essentials plus license key under the Account # XXXXXXX  is associated with the expired Contract # XXXXXX. 

Start date : 2020
End date : 2022 

Customer will need to have the Contract #XXXXX renewed before they can redeem the PAC key  to upgrade the license keys to vSphere Enterprise Plus Acceleration Kit. 

I have already communicated this to Customer. 

Please reach out to customer to assist them with the Contract # XXXXXX renewal, so they can redeem the PAC key. Since there is no further action pending from licensing team, I will keep this support request closed.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Oh, it's an upgrade PAC. Now it makes sense.

"Customer will need to have the Contract #XXXXX renewed before they can redeem the PAC key"

That's going to be interesting. An upgrade can indeed only be done from an active subscription. In this case you need to find out whether the customer can reinstate SnS for the old Ess+ license.

André

0 Kudos
LisaGarner
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, do you think we could sell them 16 cores of standard and let them run with that as the downgraded version to get their PAC?

We definitely can't re-instate his old ESS license.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I don't think that VMware will accept this.
Anyway, you may want to discuss this with the VMware licensing support. Maybe they can find an option which will work.

André

0 Kudos
LisaGarner
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos