VMware Cloud Community
Somnathnandy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

2 port 10g NIC for Data Connectivity to DB and APP VM on ESXi 8.0.U2

Hi 

I am installing ESXi 8.0.U2 on 3 hosts each having 2 x 32 Core AMD EPYC CPU and 256GB RAM with 2 x 2Port 10g NIC from Broadcom and iSCSI SAN. One 2-port 10g NIC I have used to connect the iSCSI storage(directly connected) for each host, configured vsphere HA and created 2 VMs APP & DB on HA cluster. I want to use the remaining 2-port 10G NIC for these 2 VMs' network connectvity (one vNIC for each VM) for users to connect to these VMs. On each host I have configured one standard vswitch with this NIC and inside the switch I have configured teaming (algorithm based on IP hash), I have created a port group (10G_DATA) with this standard switch also. There is alternate 1g Network also which is the management network for all hosts and available on the cluster also. When I am creating any VM, in network part this 10G_DATA is available but when I am attaching this 10G_DATA with the VM, I am unable to communicate with the outside world, even I am unable to communicate with the other VM connedted with this standard switch. But when I am changing the network to management network from 10G_DATA, everything  becomes normal.

I am unable to understand how to use this 2-port NIC for my data and vmotion.

Please help.

Regards

Somnath Nandy.

Regards
Somnath Nandy
0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From how I understand your setup, I think that the IP-Hash configuration on the vSwitch does not match the physical switch ports' configuration. Maybe https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1001938 will help.

André

0 Kudos
Somnathnandy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @a_p_ 

Thank you for your reply. When there was no VM there was no alarm regarding load balancing run but when I created VMs and attached to it (by default this 10G network, 10G_DATA, is coming during creation of VM) I am unable to communicate to outside world. So I removed the VMs from 10G_DATA and attached to VM Network which is 1g. But after removing from 10G a message started coming "load balancing runs skipped" with red tag(message screenshot attached). If I return back the VMs on 10G_DATA it becomes normal. Also I want to use this 10G Data Network for vMotion as this will be faster for live VMs movements. Initially I created a VMkarnel adapter for this but after that 10G_DATA vanished from vCenter Network.

Need help.

Regards

Somnath Nandy

Regards
Somnath Nandy
0 Kudos