VMware Cloud Community
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

add storage to ESXi 4.1, hba won't see LUNs, do-do??

Have HP DL360 G7 with HP customized ESXi image.

Installation etc. went okay but it is only seeing local storage.

Have 6 NICs installed

vswitch 1: management network and vKernel to local LAN IPs

vswitch 2: backend vKernel connected to SAN IP addresses, two teamed nics, each vmk# has only one pNIC assigned

vswitch 3: production network

successfully assigned vmk2 and vmk3 on vswitch2 to vmhba 39 which is software initiator and successfully entered san IPs into dynamic discovery

LUNs still not visible, only local storage...multiple hba re-scans do not bring up the LUNs.

How do I fix this??

Essentially I replicated our ESX (classic) configuration to our new ESXi host, thinking it should work the same way, but the LUNs won't get seen/found on the ESXi host...nothing has changed on the SAN.

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Are you sure you have the right address?  I only ask, because I have made this mistake. Smiley Happy

Any rules/restrictions on the SAN side that would limit the new connections?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

...nothing has changed on the SAN

What kind of SAN do you use (vendor/model)?
How are hosts identified on your SAN? By IP address or by their iqn? If it is by iqn, you need to configure the new hosts in the SAN and present the LUNs to it.

André

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HP MSA 2012i SAN, hosts aren't identified on it so much as the proper SAN IP addresses are added to dynamic discovery and then the LUNs get found in 'classic' ESX 4.1 with the existing configuration.

Already tried disabling iscsi, rebooting, re-enabling iscsi, rescanning the hba, this did not work.

It is also seeing all the Broadcom nics as iscsi hbas, which we don't want, in addition to giving them various wrong/unhelpful WWNs...

I have reason to believe I have the SAN networking configured correctly because the same networking works properly for ESX classic with service console on two other ESX hosts.

Perhaps someone can reply this evening or tomorrow AM, if no response I'll try re-installing and see what happens.

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos