VMware Cloud Community
zemotard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Unable to extend datastore

Hi, I have increased my lun on my Netapp system from 170GB to 240

I rescaned the datastore, now in vsphere the lun appears, but I'm not able to increase the datastore, the screen appears blank.

Is it normal ?

Best Regards If this information is useful for you, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
6 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Yes and no, to create an extend you must present a new LUN. To grow a existing VMFS you need free space which exactly starts after the VMFS volume and if a shared datastore has powered on virtual machines and becomes 100% full, you can increase the datastore's capacity only from the host, with which the powered on virtual machines are registered.

Read: http://pubs.vmware.com/vsp40/server_config/t_increase_vmfs_datastores.html

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
zemotard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for you helpfull documentation

I need just to add one more details, by connecting directly to the esx, I can increase the datastore. But this feature was not available when I m connected to vSphere server.

Regards

Best Regards If this information is useful for you, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
f10
Expert
Expert

That is true, since these are shared datastore's virtual center has a lock and does not allow us to modify the attributes of the datastore.

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
D1Q4
Contributor
Contributor

oow hai, im newbie in this forum and for virtualization world..

its some old issue but i already find it.

The BIG question in my mind is. if we extend the datastore volume, is it formating datastore???

thanks for anyone give me the exac answer..

Regards

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

If you're talking about if the partition gets extended, as well, no, not by default. But the free VMware Converter will perform this task at least for Windows NTFS filesystems.

AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
D1Q4
Contributor
Contributor

hii.. thanks for the "welcome" Smiley Happy

what i mean, after i extend the LUN. the datastore at cluster doesnt extend autamtically, right?? i have to extend the datastore manually from each Host, whether such a steps would erase all existing data in the Datastore will I extend?

Please gave the "newbie" some enlightenment... :smileygrin:

Thanks and Regards

0 Kudos