nnoel
Contributor
Contributor

Snapdrive disk enumeration doesn't see disks

I have been installing vSphere on my ESX hosts successfully for the last couple of weeks. Yesterday I had a request for a new VM that needs RDM. We use Netapp Snapdrive version 6.0.2 and Netapp FCP Host Utilities 5.1. The installation of Snapdrive skips the connection to vCenter so it cannot see storage after installed. After looking into this further, I found that my other VMs with Snapdrive have a problem as well. The disks are available on the server; however Snapdrive does not see them. I have opened a case with Netapp for this but I was wondering if anyone else has run into this and resolved it. The error in the event viewer is:

Failed to enumerate LUN.

Device path:

'
?\scsi#disk&ven_netapp&prod_lun&rev_0.2#4&1588251b&0&000a00#{53f56307

-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}'

Storage path: '/vol/ISIFBOISE89_VOL/ISIFBOISE89_LUN3'

SCSI address: (1,0,10,0)

Error code: 0xc00402f6

Error description: A LUN with device path

b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b} and SCSI address (1, 0, 10, 0) is exposed through an unsupported initiator.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1127474#1127474

I would do a quick search through the forums. Snapdrive returns a number of hits.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
thecakeisalie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi nnoel,

SnapDrive requires VDS to be running prior to being able to start... I would recommend updating your SnapDrive to 6.1, ensure that FCP utilities are not installed in the guest operating system (MPIO can potentially cause data destruction and isn't required or supported inside the guestOS), then follow this NetApp KB to set VDS as a dependency of SnapDrive:

---

To manually verify and configure the dependencies for SnapDrive:

How to check what dependencies exist:

1. In services.msc, go to the SnapDrive service, right click and select Properties.

2. Open the "Dependencies" tab.

If the settings are correct there should be four services selected:

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Virtual Disk Service

Windows Management Instrumentation

Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions

If the Virtual Disk Service is not listed follow the procedure below to add it:

1. Run regedit.exe

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SWSvc.

3. On the right pane you should see an entry “DependOnService”, (If not create the the key as a “Multi-String value”)

4. Double click “DependOnService” and add "vds" to the values already present.

---

I would also recommend verifying that the following services are set to "automatic" startup type instead of "manual" startup type:

• Routing and Remote Access

• Network Connections

• Remote Procedure Call

0 Kudos
nnoel
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your help! Doing an upgrade to snapdrive 6.1 has fixed the problem.

0 Kudos