VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Process and considerations for virtualizing storage

In an environment where storage is not virtualized unused space on LUNs is wasted.  Would like to get input on the process of virtualizing storage to pool unused space on existing LUNs to make it available.  What are considerations, process for implementing, potential impacts to uptime of SAN, caviats and gotchas that are involved in this process?

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RR9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

processes are depends on the what you want to achive..

if you want to use unused space .. there are many ways to do this..

which SAN you are using...

0 Kudos
piaroa
Expert
Expert

How about provisioning your VMs with thin disks instead of thick ?

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
0 Kudos
RR9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Its good that you configure thin provisioning

but before going to this you should configure alerts in Vcenter for tracking usage of space.. otherwise it will be very difficult to manage this.

there various alerts related to storage in vsphere.. you must consider this if you are planning to go for thin provisioning.

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

When you use thin provisioning, you can overcommit the space on your LUNs.  However if snapshots are in use, then when the LUN fills up, you can't move the VMs elsewhere without powering them off, because storage vmotion doesn't work with snapshots. If storage is not virtualized then growing the LUNs is more complicated. If storage is virtualized, you can grow the LUNs much more easily when the thin provisioned vms start using more of the space they were provisioned for.

0 Kudos
RR9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

See many storage vendors are providing LUN volume grow on the fly option like in netapp storage.

still keep in mind 2TB size limit and you should track usage consumption of your space.

so you can contact your storage vendor about these type of features...

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Yes - I realize this requires third party solutions to implement.  That's why I'm looking to get input from VMware admins who have gone through the process and get their input and feedback.

0 Kudos
RR9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

better way to do this is to contact your storage vendor... because its good to have these type of solution on storage level

netapp has features like - volume grow on the fly..

- Quick snapshots

- LUN grow on the fly

0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Thanks for all your attempts to put input in here. I'm actually already in contact with my storage vendor so I do have their perspective.  I'm looking for additional input from VMware admins who have the particular experience of having gone through the process of virtualizing their storage and have some input from their experience - specifically along the lines of the types of things mentioned in the first post in this thread.

0 Kudos