VMware Cloud Community
Wraeth
Contributor
Contributor

NFS datastores mounting but not readable

Hi all,

Having an issue here with broken connectivity to NFS datastores from a variety of hosts in a flexpod setup.

Here are the facts:

- Network config has been checked:

- correct VLANs allowed on all trunks for L2 domain (VLAN2490)

- MTU is 9216 throughout switching
    - VLAN in use is L2 and hosts/NAS appliances are directly connected

- All 8 hosts can mount the NFS datastores in question across each of the 4 x fas2240-2 controllers (2 'stores per head)

- In the past, all hosts have been able to mount and use all datastores. No changes have been made.

- Some hosts can still access some of the NFS stores fully, including "ls /vmfs/volumes/volume-label-here"

- These same hosts cannot access the same NFS stores once they are umounted/re-mounted

- On trying to list the filesystem after re-mounting it, it simply times out (greyed-out in vCenter during this time)

- The NAS units state (with "options nfs.mount.trace" turned on) that the hosts are allowed to use the export when they mount. e.g.:

Thu Jun 13 07:30:35 GMT [NAS-1-2: MNTPool09:info]: Client 10.0.249.17 (xid 1781438220) in mount, has access rights to path /vol/infra_datastore_1

- Hosts that are rebooted see no improvement

- Have not rebooted NAS controllers yet as this will be disruptive to live VMs

Relevant Host network interface:

vmk2: NFS-9000            unrouted VLAN2490, access port (untagged), MTU 9000, 10.0.249.17/26

Relevant NAS network interface:

Po12-2490                unrouted VLAN2490, trunk port (tagged), MTU 9000, 10.0.249.10/26

Export for NFS volume:

/vol/infra_datastore_1    -sec=sys,rw=10.0.249.0/26,root=10.0.249.0/26

ESXi version is 5.1.0-799733

DATA ONTAP version is 8.1.2

Any ideas?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi..

My only idea is this VMware KB: NFS connectivity issues on NetApp NFS filers on ESXi 5.x .

NetApp Bug decription here: http://support.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=321428

So if not having OnTap 8.1.2P4 installed this might be the issue that you're seing...?

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
Wraeth
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Rubeck.

I had seen that bug before posting this, actually. It doesn't quite line up with the issue though, as there is very little load (if any at all) and we are using hardware that isn't on the affected list (fas2240-2). I plan to upgrade the units in any case as we do not want to let this system enter into production with a potential "known-issue" but again, I'm not sure that this is the problem here.

I will report back on this once the update is done though!

0 Kudos