VMware {code} Community
ntrivedi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Support of Perl SDK's vmclone.pl for ESXi without vCenter

I'm looking to use vmclone.pl from the Perl SDK 5.5 release.  I have an ESXi server with VMs that I'd like to remotely clone.  However when I attempt to invoke the perl scipt, I get an error " Operation is not supported by the current agent".

I was lead to believe that the Perl SDK operates on ESXi without vCenter Server.  Is this accurate?  Is my error due to another reason?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

vSphere SDK for Perl can operate on either ESXi or vCenter, it is just an interface to the APIs. However, in the case of Cloning which is a feature, this is only exposed when vCenter Server is in the picture. You can not issue a clone operation directly on an ESXi host and that is why the fault was thrown.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

vSphere SDK for Perl can operate on either ESXi or vCenter, it is just an interface to the APIs. However, in the case of Cloning which is a feature, this is only exposed when vCenter Server is in the picture. You can not issue a clone operation directly on an ESXi host and that is why the fault was thrown.

0 Kudos
rohitk22
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just extending the answer given by the Iamw...

1. get the hostinfo of vCenter. basically the "hostname".

2. execute the below file...

perl vmclone.pl --

url <vCenter IP>/sdk/vimservice --username "root" --password "password" --

vmname "TestVM" --vmhost "<IP of ESXi>" --vmname "TestVM" --vmname_destination "

Cloned_TestVM"

@Iamw ....  How can we execute iso OS from API..?

0 Kudos