VMware Cloud Community
kaisers0s3
Contributor
Contributor

replicating VMs from one remote site to another remote site WITHIN the same vcenter

Hi folks,

We are having to move datacenters so i am looking to use vSphere Replication to handle this.  I am not able to find the answer anywhere.

Okay here is the configuration

vCenter Appliance is running on a 4 node esxi cluster in Washington DC

vSphere Replication Appliance(and default Replication Server) is also in the same cluster in Washington DC

Remote Site 1 - vsphere datacenter object with a 4 node esxi cluster

New Remote site 2 - vsphere datacenter object with a 4 node cluster.

I need to migrate the VM's from Remote Site 1 to New Remote Site 2

It looks like the heavy lifting processing will be handled by the the vSphere Replication Appliance(with the default Replication Server) in Washington DC. 

Should i install another vSphere Replication Server in Remote Site 1 to handle the processing and not have the Replication Server in Washington DC do it? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Giodomi
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello, 

if I understood right, you should have also a vSphere Replication on the secondary site.

Did you check this page?
https://docs.vmware.com/en/vSphere-Replication/8.5/com.vmware.vsphere.replication-admin.doc/GUID-C52...

Kudos if it was helpful

GioDomi
0 Kudos
kaisers0s3
Contributor
Contributor

So, in washington DC i have the vSphere Replication Appliance and vSphere Replication Server.

Remote Site(London) - no Replication Server

New Remote Site 2(Woking) - no Replication Server

I will need to replicate the 60 VMs from London to Woking

Should I install a second vSphere Replication Server to do the processing from London To Woking?

i have read the document you provided but it is not telling me what is doing the processing.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
kaisers0s3
Contributor
Contributor

sorry specifically should i install a second Replication Server in London or Woking?

0 Kudos
Giodomi
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

hello,
yes accordingly to the diagram you should install a second replication appliance in London to do the replication.

Kudos if it was helpful

GioDomi
0 Kudos