VMware {code} Community
Victor_Joe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

what is data centre in the ESxi?

Hi !!

I am trying to use vmprovision.pl.But it is asking for Datacenter and --vihost.Can anybody please tell me what is meant by these terms?

Thanks,

Victor

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBaer
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

For --datacenter, you need to specify the name of the datacenter object that contains the ESX host (this only applies if you are using VirtualCenter) For standalone hosts, the --datacenter option has no relevance. For --vmhost, you specify the name of the ESX host (FQDN is good, but IP or short name should work fine).

Note that, if you are using VC, I believe you need to specify the name of the host as it is recorded in VC in order for that host to be located properly. However, I suppose that depends on how the script is written to find the host objects -- the simplest is to pass the value through to find_entity_view.

Doug Baer, Solution Architect, Advanced Services, Broadcom | VCDX #019, vExpert 2012-23

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
njain
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Datacenter is used to organize inventory objects such as host resources and virtual machines. The "datacenter" option in vmprovision.pl is needed only when you are creating a VM. For ESX servers the value for datacenters is "ha-datacenter". However, there is no option as "--vihost" in this script. Are you referring to "vmhost" option?

0 Kudos
Victor_Joe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.

yeah,its --vmhost.

What we should we give in --datacenter and --vmhost options?

Please help me out.

0 Kudos
DougBaer
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

For --datacenter, you need to specify the name of the datacenter object that contains the ESX host (this only applies if you are using VirtualCenter) For standalone hosts, the --datacenter option has no relevance. For --vmhost, you specify the name of the ESX host (FQDN is good, but IP or short name should work fine).

Note that, if you are using VC, I believe you need to specify the name of the host as it is recorded in VC in order for that host to be located properly. However, I suppose that depends on how the script is written to find the host objects -- the simplest is to pass the value through to find_entity_view.

Doug Baer, Solution Architect, Advanced Services, Broadcom | VCDX #019, vExpert 2012-23
0 Kudos
Victor_Joe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for wonderful answer

0 Kudos