VMware {code} Community
kumars17
Contributor
Contributor

VirtualDisk info about guest OS phsyical Drive

Hi,

I have created one virtual disk and have Added it to the guest OS thru VIrtual Infrastructure CLient and it is made visible as
.\PHYSICALDRIVE1. I have a application running on the guest OS which wants to Query
.\PHSYICALDRIVE1 and wants to know what datastore it belongs to. The application uses VI SDK. Is it possible?

-Sunil

0 Kudos
5 Replies
tos2k
Expert
Expert

Hi!

Assuming that VMware tools are installed, AFAIK there is no direct relation between virtualDisk (config.hardware.device) and guest.disk.

From guest.disk you can get the name of the partition. Assuming that you have on partition per disk, it should be possible to find the right vmdk file and so the datastore.

Having more than one partition on one virtual disk makes it impossible with the VI SDK (only) to detect vmdk files or/and datastores for a given partition.

See also: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/113805

Tos2k

0 Kudos
bmani27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

You have said that if there is only one partition in a disk, it should be possilble to find the right VMDK file. Could you please explain me how to do that ?

Thanks in Advance,

Mani

0 Kudos
tos2k
Expert
Expert

Hi!

The vmdk file name can be fetched from VM->layout->disk, the partition name have to be fetched from VM->guest->disk

Tos2k

0 Kudos
bmani27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I was able to get that info. But how could i know which disk corresponds to which partition ? How can i map ?

Thanks in Advance,

Mani

0 Kudos
tos2k
Expert
Expert

I dunno! The key I recommended a few times is missing (guestinfo.virtualmachinefileinfodisk)

but maybe there is a 1:1 relation?

disk[2000] -> GuestDiskInfo

disk[2001] -> GuestDiskInfo

But no doubt, I dont know, and the design is crap here, sorry to say. I really would like to get a reply on my feature request:

Tos2k

0 Kudos