VMware {code} Community
Tim_Wise
Contributor
Contributor

Relationship between memory performance counters?

I'm looking at the memory metrics for hosts. I'm trying to provide a breakdown of how memory is used.

I see that the memory utilization is computed as: usage = consumed / total configured host mem. Which metrics, if any, add up to the 'consumed' metric?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

For VirtualMachine: The amount of host memory consumed by the virtual machine for guest memory.

For HostSystem: This counter can be calculated as: total memory of host -free memory

It includes memory reserved for the service console. Note that the entire memory reserved for the service console is considered as used here.

0 Kudos
Tim_Wise
Contributor
Contributor

Right. What is the metric for the system console memory, sysUsage?

What I'm looking for is list of metrics that add up to the host consumed. For example:

host.consumed = host.sysUsage + host.overhead + sum VM.consumed

--

Tim

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think, the memory reserved for service console is available as a permonace metric. "mem.sysUsage" is actually the amount of memory being used by the vmkernel (refers to machine pages)

But, in order to find the service console memory reserved, you can fetch the config.consoleReservation.serviceConsoleReserved property of the HostSystem.

0 Kudos