VMware Cloud Community
Figgis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Raid Drivers?

hi,

I have a ASUS M5A78L-M motherboard with an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T processor. I have 2x 2tb drives that I want to set up as a raid 1 pair. I have set them up in the BIOS as a raid pair and it shows everything is as it should be when it boots. I've set it up with ESXi 5.0 u3 Hypervisor but it doesnt look like its treating the drives as a raid set. I've looked to see if there is a seperate raid driver for ESXi but I cant find anything. Can anyone help? I'm new to using ESXi

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unfortunately not. If - as in your case - the disks are still visible as two separate disks in the operating system after setting them up as a RAID1 in the BIOS, additional components/drivers are required in the operating system. The vendors usually provide such components for Windows and Linux, but not for ESXi, which - as I mentioned in my previous post - does not support this type of RAID controllers.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm afraid this won't work. ESXi doesn't support software (fake) RAID, but only real hardware RAID where the RAID controller transparently presents the logical volumes to the OS, without requiring additional OS drivers.

André

Figgis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So just setting the drives to raid in the BIOS doesnt do that?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unfortunately not. If - as in your case - the disks are still visible as two separate disks in the operating system after setting them up as a RAID1 in the BIOS, additional components/drivers are required in the operating system. The vendors usually provide such components for Windows and Linux, but not for ESXi, which - as I mentioned in my previous post - does not support this type of RAID controllers.

André

0 Kudos