VMware Cloud Community
jfriedl
Contributor
Contributor

Dynamic connection of physical moitors to the virtual machines

Hi,
I have following use case:
We have defined 3operators workplaces (each equipped by keyboard and mouse). The monitors above the operator places (monitor wall 3x2) should be connected dynamically to the operators e.g. if in there is only one operator, the other monitors can be optionally assigned to this logged operator. The idea is having the screens, keyboard and mouses directly connected to the server (the server is close the operator places), without any think client or similar solution.

Does exist some solution, how to dynamically assign (add, remove) the physical screens to the virtual machines?

P.S. hope this is the correct thread for this use case, if not please let me know.

Thank you for feedback Jan

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DCasota
Expert
Expert

Hi,

A professional monitor wall should come with a hardware based multiple input source video controller. The product must support displaying IP video streams from virtual machines as well. 

Your spec has similarities to the feature set of Digibird vwc2-b series (3x2, user access) with ip streaming decoder card.

Which wall product and ESXi release are you using ? Maybe someone in the forum can share their video wall configuration experience.

0 Kudos
jfriedl
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

thank you for your feedback.

• Yes, you are right the commercial Video-Wall has multiple input source, unfortunately this use-case is quite different. There are used industrial IP65 displays with DVI-D interface. The monitors are close together.
    • This is the reason, why I'm trying find solution for "dynamic connection of physical monitor to virtual machines".
  • Thank you for recommendation of Digibird vwc2-b series, I will check it.
  • The videowall will use proprietary application. We aren't limited by ESXi release, because we are in the first step - solution designing. 🙂

BR Jan

0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

Hi Jan,

If your solution designing project turns to industrial-grade AR glasses, do not hesitate to get in touch with Matt Coppinger, director of XR at VMware. The new product VMware Workspace ONE XR Hub is flying fast under the industrial radar.

• Already integrated glasses are: Google Glass, HTC Vive Focus 3, Focus Plus, Magic Leap 2, Oculus for Business, Pico VR, Realwear, Vuzix
  • Microsoft Hololens 2 and the IP66 dustproof and waterproof Rokid X-Craft afaik aren't integrated yet.

But as said, if your company is interested, on Twitter simply DM @MCopping.

Hope this helps.
-Daniel

0 Kudos
jfriedl
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Daniel,

thank you for your feedback.

Unfortunately no, it is not related with the AR glasses.

The operators are sitting at standard industrial monitors close together (monitor wall 3x2). Once the operator is not in the place, we would like allocate the monitors for the operator sitting next to the "free" place.

Is it possible to write Matt outside the twitter?

BR Jan

0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

Hi Jan,

This control room / operation place scenario isn't uncommon but my tech skills for this combo hw/sw/services are little.

In an industrial solution designing phase, XR isn't uncommon anymore. There was a VMworld/VMware Explore demo a while ago but I couldn't find the weblink. That one in https://youtu.be/AyLgvwhIA2s [see time 14:14] is more office workspace related. I've left a message to mcopping.

If you're already a VMware customer, involve your local territory account manager to your solution designing.

Kind regards,
Daniel

0 Kudos
jfriedl
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dan, 

thank you for your feedback and support. 

Hope the territory manager will help. 

BR Jan

0 Kudos