VMware Cloud Community
pbergerjms
Contributor
Contributor

default root password

Hi all -- I've successfully deployed Log Insight 1.0 and I can get into the GUI web page as "admin" just fine. However -- I coulcn't get into the root Linux console as "root" or "admin" with those same credentials. I'm hoping to run the "configure-esxi" script -- but I couldn't get to a shell prompt.

I destroyed and re-deployed the OVA and got the same problem. Tried the usual root password for VMware products to no avail.

I finally found that the default "root" password was {blank}. Probably something that should be marked in the documentation -- or if its there -- it's not clear.

Or at-least use the usual VMware passwords that other Linux-based products use.?

Looking forward to seeing what this does....

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Thanks for the feedback! In the Installation and Administration Guide you will find a section called Configure the Root SSH Password for the Log Insight Virtual Appliance, which outlines how to configure the root password. The release notes do need to be updated to convey the same information. I will ensure this is better highlighted!

Let us know how the product works out for you!

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
pbergerjms
Contributor
Contributor

sflanders -- thanks for the tip -- I downloaded the full InstallAdmin Guide and see it now on pg 16. 

I did indeed use the shorter/easier Getting Started Guide -- that's why I didn't see it. doh. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Great feedback! I will ensure it gets added to the Getting Started Guide Smiley Happy

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos