VMware Cloud Community
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ESX 5.0 U2 and VM renames

Aloha,

With surpreme joy I discovered that ESX 5.0 U2 supposedly fixed the problem SVMotion no longer synicing display names, folder names and file names. So I upgraded my test system and did a couple renames and SVMotions. I don't see any syncing. Has anyone else eexperienced this brutal disappointment?

Bill

0 Kudos
41 Replies
VM_
Contributor
Contributor

+1 with vmware support request opened for this issue.

Release notes state:

vSphere 5 Storage vMotion is unable to rename virtual machine files on completing migration
In vCenter Server , when you rename a virtual machine in the vSphere Client, the vmdk disks are not renamed following a successful Storage vMotion task. When you perform a Storage vMotion of the virtual machine to have its folder and associated files renamed to match the new name. The virtual machine folder name changes, but the virtual machine file names do not change.

This issue is resolved in this release:

From the above, I think it was a fair assumption that we would have the vm rename functionality restored as it was in 4.1

We need this as inconsistent file names cause problems with our backup solution. I can tell my vm admins not to rename vm's until I'm blue in the face but they still rename vm's at will. Backup team not happy and blaming vmware team.

My vmware Support Request # 13273587501 - I will document my experience here. 

0 Kudos
VM_
Contributor
Contributor

I've escalated my SR and received a call back from support who stated he will look into this and get someone on the case soon.

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Received today for ticket # 13265786901  -

Hi Bill:

I just wanted to update you on the case and let you know that the issue is still being looked into for resolution.

When I hear anything further I will update you with information.

Please note, as per our discussion this may not have a quick resolution but I will be active to update you on any new information as I receive it

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Someone is already looking at the problem.

Who's on first??

0 Kudos
VM_
Contributor
Contributor

I've been given a workaround that did not work(around).

In vCenter - Administration - vCenter Server Settings - Advanced - Add Key provisioning.relocate.enableRenaming = true.

This did not work. Therefore I have been asked to enable trivial logging and upload logs to the support team.

Will report back once I have an update.

0 Kudos
VM_
Contributor
Contributor

My logs have been uploaded to the support and I have update my case. It will be interesting to see how long it is before they respond.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

i was able to test this in my vSphere5 U2 lab and it works as advertised.  No restart of the vCenter Services are needed either.

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We had a WebEx and my guy tried adding the same variable.Same undesireable results.

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

But Troy... There is a big difference... The rest of us are mere mortals!!!!

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

maybe i just got lucky... The parameters are to be added minus the quotes.  From there, it seemed to just work.  You may try and restart you vCenter Server Service as well.

A  sceen shot of our changes

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Weird stuff going on here... I coulda SWORE that's what the tech. did and it didn't fly. I re-added the variable and did a hot SVmotion. All file names changed except the .nvram and the .xml files.

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I did a cold SVMotion. The .nvram file still did not change and  the .xml file disappeared and never returned.

0 Kudos
VM_
Contributor
Contributor

This is the latest that I have: As of Monday 28/01/2013 @ 12:23 my local time.

I have the following logs downloaded for further analysis. Give me a day, I will have a look and will share my findings with you.

viclient-support-2013-01-25@15-32-08.zip

Host-vmsupport-2013-01-25@15-32-04.tgz

Host-vmsupport-2013-01-25@15-32-04.tgz

vcenter-vcsupport-2013-01-25@15-35-39.zip

Thanks & Regards,

0 Kudos
VM_
Contributor
Contributor

The Devil is in the detail.

I just double checked my applied setting (as per those provided and checked by vmware support)

There was a mistake: I have provisioning.relocate.enableRenaming = true

I should have had provisioning.relocate.enableRename = true

I have corrected this and tested in my test environment and it is working. However I too have the problem with the NVRAM file not updating:

NVRam Name.JPG

0 Kudos
VM_
Contributor
Contributor

Latest from vmware:

Hello Niall,

Just to confirm, which of the following parameter was added to the advanced settings of vCenter Server

"provisioning.relocate.enableRename" to True or "provisioning.relocate.enableRenaming" to True

If "provisioning.relocate.enableRenaming" is the parameter used, could you please delete it and add "provisioning.relocate.enableRename" to True(This is tested on my lab and works).

NOTE:- The nvram file might not be renamed as it is an expected behavior not to rename it when the VM is ON.

Thanks & Regards,

Uncanny timing consideing I posted these exact details a while ago on this forum!

0 Kudos
frankdenneman
Expert
Expert

Troy,

You got it to work without a restart of vCenter?

GSS tested it again and found out you are required to restart the vCenter server

Blogging: frankdenneman.nl Twitter: @frankdenneman Co-author: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical Deepdive, vSphere 5x Clustering Deepdive series
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

works with the exception of the rename of the nvram file.  No restart of vCenter.

0 Kudos
clemence
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have the same problem with 5.1 Ess +.

I use this KB http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102951...

and try :

"To rename the files:

1. Log into the VMware vSphere Client.
  2. Locate the virtual machine in your host inventory.
  3. Right-click the virtual machine and click Rename.
  4. Change the virtual machine name as required.
  5. Perform Cold migration to a new datastore of the virtual machine."

But it doesn't work ! The vmdk/nvram/vmk... files still use the old VM Name Smiley Sad

Thanks.

0 Kudos
clemence
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware told me that it will be fixed with 5.1 U1, maybe next month.

0 Kudos