VMware Cloud Community
globalhawk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OrgNetwork creation looking for wrong vdnscope

I have all basic setup done on vShield Manager and vSphere. We are using  Nexus 1Kv.

When I try to create a new Org Network, it always looks for vddnscope-1. But, vdnscope-1 doesn't exist and vdnscope-2 exist for that network pool. What might be the reason that is looking for a different vdnscope ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I only said it was the most common because that's what I have seen.  Either mode should be fine, and neither is 'preferred' over the other.

I think what you might be hitting is a bug, where vCloud assigns the scope starting at 1, when it shouldn't be.

you should be able to stop all cells, then look at the network_pool table in the vCloud Director database.  update it to show the correct vdnscope- value (vdnscope-2 in your case), and start vCloud Director again.

After that it should work just fine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

when you say Org network, I assume you mean vCloud Director Organization Network?  What kind of network pool are you using in vCloud Director?

0 Kudos
globalhawk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes. vCloud Org Network. I am using a VXLAN network pool created when the PvDC got created from vShield.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

was the VXLAN configured in vCloud Networking and Security and the N1K prior to creating the Provider vDC?

0 Kudos
globalhawk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes. the vxlan capability was done on n1kv and correct cluster was prepared to add with segment id pool.

does this happen if there was one pvdc created before with vxlan capability is setup and a new pvdc created with same name after the setup is done ?

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As for preparing, it was more to make sure.  vCloud director only communicates to vShield/vCNS ... not to the Nexus 1k.

To be honest, the most common implementation I have seen with Nexus 1k + vCloud is using Port Group backed pools.  Have the 1k provision a series of Port groups, then assign the port groups to the Network Pool.

I know it possible, given that I have seen it in posts elsewhere: Cisco Nexus 1000V and vCloud Director 5.1 | Tom Fojta's Blog

0 Kudos
globalhawk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As the preparation was done on vCNS. And segmentation support and multicast enabling on n1kv was done on n1kv as part of entire preparation.

To be honest, the most common implementation I have seen with Nexus 1k + vCloud is using Port Group backed pools.  Have the 1k provision a series of Port groups, then assign the port groups to the Network Pool.

Is that the only preferred method ? Have N1kv provision a series of Port Groups and assign them to the network pool to create vxlan networks (org networks) ?

In our understanding, once we have the segment id pool and multicast address pool is been setup. The creation of PvDC creates a vxlan network pool for us in vCD. We used this Network Pool to create a Org > Org vDC. And, when we create either routed network using edge or an isolated network, vCNS creates a new Port Group in N1kv and configure that as the vxlan org network.

As a matter of fact, Tom Fojta's post is been accounted as reference for setup as well. We are using only N1kv, not mixing with VMware dvSwitch.

FYI: The error message we get is this

Cannot deploy organization VDC network  (uuid for that network)
com.vmware.vcloud.fabric.nsm.error.VsmException: VSM response error (202): The requested object : vdnscope-1 could not be found. Object identifiers are case sensitive.

But, the configured Network Scope from the VXLAN Network Pool has an object id of vdnscope-2. vCD is trying to connect to a Network Scope (vdnscope-1) which isn't available in vCNS. Any thoughts on that ?

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I only said it was the most common because that's what I have seen.  Either mode should be fine, and neither is 'preferred' over the other.

I think what you might be hitting is a bug, where vCloud assigns the scope starting at 1, when it shouldn't be.

you should be able to stop all cells, then look at the network_pool table in the vCloud Director database.  update it to show the correct vdnscope- value (vdnscope-2 in your case), and start vCloud Director again.

After that it should work just fine.

0 Kudos
globalhawk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot IamTHEvilONE...!! That worked. But, it could be a bug that needs to be fixed.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No problem.  Happy you're up and running.  I think we're already looking into this issue.

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks for this. I summarized my experience here:  http://www.boche.net/blog/index.php/2015/08/15/vcloud-director-vdnscope-1-could-not-be-found/

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos