VMware Cloud Community
FFed
Contributor
Contributor

Vcenter SSO issue

Hi all,

I was updating from 5.1 Update 1 to update 2 one of my vCenter yesterday.

I successfully update SSO and Inventory Service. After that I wanted to update Vcenter Server, I was expecting to have something to update but no ... I only could modify the Linked Mode configuration or uninstall Vcenter Server ...

From now on I could not connect to my Vcenter Server anymore because it wont start, see attached file for the errors in my vxpd.log file.

I did some research on the Internet but didnt found something usefull for the moment...

It would be cool if I would not have to reinstall Vcenter Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kashifkarar01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

As per the logs I notice that the SSO access issue.

While upgrading SSO did you change the SSO credentials?

Do you have the backup of the vCenter 5.1?

Please download the vCenter upgrade guide:

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-511-upgrad...

1. As noted in the Upgrade Guide, the following components need to be upgraded

IN ORDER:

a. Select vCenter Single Sign On (NOT the Simple Install), then click the Install button; follow the wizard then click Install (reference on pg. 64, Upgrade Guide). Provide the SSO account credentials when prompted. A reboot of vCenter may be needed upon completion of the SSO upgrade

b. After completing the SSO upgrade, select VMware vSphere Web Client then click the Install button; again, follow the wizard then click Install (reference on pg. 78, Upgrade Guide)

c. At this point, it is recommended to open a web browser & attempt to log into the Web Client. First, log in using the SSO account (admin@System-Domain) and verify domain connectivity; then attempt to login using a domain account. If all is successful, continue to ‘d.’; else, review troubleshooting steps in the Upgrade Guide

d. Select VMware vCenter Inventory Service, then click the Install button (reference on pg. 80, Upgrade Guide) e. Select VMware vCenter Server, then click the Install button (reference on pg. 83, Upgrade Guide); provide the vCenter Server database credentials when prompted

1. After upgrading all Components, log into vCenter and verify functionality; if all looks ok, I suggest backing up your SSO configuration as noted on pg. 100 of the Upgrade Guide
0 Kudos
FFed
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you kashifkara01 for this fast answer.

I did not think I changed the SSO password as I use then same for all my Vcenter SSO, I may have miss typed the password but I highly doubt about it.

I reset the password for admin@System-Center, I guess I have to set this new password somewhere into Vcenter configuration ?

After I reset this password I tried to reinstall Web Client but when I am asked for SSO logins it always fails ... Even with the new one and the master password one !

Edit : Nothing to do with the password -> "Could not connect to vCenter SSO. Make sure that the Lookup Service URL points correctly to the vCenter SSO instance you installed. If vCenter SSO is installed with an IP address, make sure the IP address is specified in the URL."

If I go to the Lookup Service URL I have this attached xml file as output (I am sorry I cannot copy/paste here, I dont know why

)

Should I uninstall and reinstall SSO ?

0 Kudos
FFed
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I answer a bit to myself.
I reinstall Vcenter and now all is fine ... but I noticed that my RSA db is empty ! How is now my Vcenter working despite this RSA db is empty ?

RSA_db.PNG

I remember when I checked the SSO error log file I saw references to a old Domain Controller, which I since uninstalled.

I have done some research on the Internet about this and found this thread

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2368185

At this point I noticed that my RSA db was empty.

What exactly is in this DB ? Can I backup the RSA db from another of my Vcenter and restore it to the empty DB ?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos