VMware Cloud Community
dalo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vCenter service died and won't start again

Today our vCenter Server died unexpectly and I cannot start it again. The DB Server (ms-sql 2005) is up and running. In the Windows eventlog I see the following error:

The description for Event ID 1000 from source VMware VirtualCenter Server cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Failed to intialize VMware VirtualCenter. Shutting down...

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

I tried to restore the DB on a diffeerent vCenter Server, but the same happens. Also with a older backup of the DB. Has anyone a other idea?

Daniel

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Daniel,

Could you please restart SQL services? Pls make sure that SQL server Agent service and SQL Browser services are also running.

Have you installed any solutions along with VC like VUM, Converter etc.?

Also, it would be great if you could upload logs.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
dalo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I tried to restart SQL and SQLagent, but this doen't helps.

UpdateManager is installed but nothing else. The db is on the same server. I tried wit an older DB (2Days ago), this works, but I want a newer one. Where can I find the corresponding VC Logs?

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You can generate VC log bundle. Go to Start > programs > VMware > Generate VC log bundle.

This script will generate a zipped folder with all VC logs.

Also, are VC and VUM installed on same database?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
dalo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks, but without a working vCenter this wont work. Im working now with Vmware support to found a solution.

0 Kudos
dalo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The problem was a move of a NFS datastore (new IP but same DNS Name). The VC doesn't accept this move and the DB goes corrupt. The only solution was to restore a older state of the DB (before the NFS move) and delete/create the NFS store.

Daniel

0 Kudos