VMware Cloud Community
Dird
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter pointing to Oracle repository help

Hi,

Currently we have a vCenter Server installed on an MS OS with the client on the same machine. We would like for an Oracle DB that has been created to be used as the repository.The steps detailed in the http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_40_esx_vc_installation_guide.pdf have been followed and now I'm just wondering how to link the two. I was entering the database details in the vCenter client login but it wouldn't work...is it that I actually enter the local server details here still and then once connected there I point to the Oracle repository? If so please detail steps to take.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

What you will need to create is an ODBC DSN that will point to the Oracle Database - during the install of vCenter you will be asked for the name of the DSN which will allow vCenter to communicate to the database and pleas enote the DSN must be a SYSTEM DSN -

check out page 75 of http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40_u1/vsp_40_u1_esx_vc_installation_guide.pdf

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Dird
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. A new DSN has been made for the Oracle database but the vCenter software has already been installed and used with a SQL Server repository. We need it to be repointed to the Oracle database.

0 Kudos
Dird
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

The thing is the server has already been installed and points to an MS repository; we would like to change this so that it points to a remote Oracle database. The DSN is entered but where do we enter these new details? Reading through the manual the only thing I see mentioned is "Linked Mode" but this seems to refer to the linking of multiple vCenter servers rather than changing the repository. Please advice.

0 Kudos