VMware Cloud Community
vkleinerde
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Server on Workgroup Server supported?

In the ESX and vCenter Server Installation Guide, Page 93, Chapter vCenter Server Prerequisites is listed:

"The system that you use for your vCenter Server installation must belong to a domain rather than a workgroup."

In case of somebody install it on a Workgroup Server, is this scenario supported by having a valid Support/Subscription?

/vkleinerde

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If the documentation states to have it installed on a domain machine, then that is what you will need to do in order to be supported.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

someone show some success in doing it, but again i would suggest joining a domain. http://serverfault.com/questions/189556/does-vmware-virtual-center-vcenter-require-active-directory

0 Kudos
vkleinerde
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply.

Normally I install the vCenter Server always on a server wich is in a domain, but one customer do not want to do so.

I can install it and it´s working "fine". The question is: supported or not?

/vkleinerde

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Just to further clarify. It would be possible to run and install vCenter Server on a Workgroup Server, however that configuration/scenario would not be supported by VMware Technical Support.

So if you ran into some difficulties later down the line with this type of installation, VMware Technical Support would not be in a position where they could provide you with a full level of support. They would probably ask you to reproduce any issues you encounter on a supported environment, i.e vCenter Server installed on a Domain Server.

0 Kudos
vkleinerde
Contributor
Contributor

I agree absolute with you and I believe also that this is not supported.

But where exactly is that pointed out or where does your Information comes from? I think with that Information I could assure our customer.

/vkleinerde

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Your opening post contained the answer Smiley Happy

The documentation lists it as a "prerequisite" and that means that you have to have that in place or else you will not be supported.