VMware Cloud Community
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

setting up a second subnet in VC2.0.2

Up until now we've only had one subnet to create our VMs on. Now, we have a second subnet. The question is ...how do I setup VC networking to allow the second subnet to accept P2v of VMs that exist on that subnet and even creating new VMs on it? I've tried and it does not work. Here's a synopsis of what we have:

vSwitch0 is labeled Network1. It has several VMs on it and shares the Service Console. It also has 3 vNics on it. btw...we have 6 physical adapters on the host. All the VMs on this switch are on the 175.40.20.x subnet

vSwitch1 is labeled Network2(this is the new one). It has vMotion on it and it has its own subnet (172.40.21.x). We are trying to create a new Windows 2003 VM on this switch with an address of 172.40.20.x. . There is no Service Console on this vSwitch......so, I wonder how we communicate with the Production Servers anywhere and how we would be able to vMotion between subnets as I'm sure we will someday. But, anyway, that's how it was suggested to be created.

Anyway, I can not connect to a Domain Controller with this new VM on the 172.40. 20.x subnet. My Server Admin coworkers are positive that the routing is correctly setup so it has to be the way I've configured the ESX hosts.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

sorry, the first address was typed 175.....should be 172. Thanks.

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are you doing vlan tagging on the physical switch or have you configured a vlan on your vswitch? Can you ping the gateway of both subnets from the service console?

What response do you get when you ping the DC from your VM?

0 Kudos