VMware Cloud Community
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

root element is missing

I have no idea what happened. Yesterday all was fine. today when I try to create a new VM on one of my hosts, I get this message: root element is missing. Has anyone seen this before? What can I do to resolve it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ctfoster
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Please mark the question as answered and award points if the you found the information useful. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Is it just one of your ESX servers? Have you tried disconnting the host from Vcenter and readding it? tried restarting the vpxa svc? "service vmware-vpxa restart".

Any errors in the vpxa or hostd logs on the host?

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's happening on all my hosts. haven't tried readding all the hosts or restarting the service. will try.

0 Kudos
wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If its happening on all your hosts give your virtual centre server a reboot.

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

that was the first thing I tried . Just tried restarting VC service. That worked. Thanks for setting me in the right direction. appreciate it.

0 Kudos
wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

No worries, glad you got it sorted quickly Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ctfoster
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Please mark the question as answered and award points if the you found the information useful. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Good job on picking up points ctfoster... I quess you helped out quite a bit!! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

haha yeh, ouch Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

sorry for the mistake. I'm not familiar with the point system. What are the points used for?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

points are awarded for helpful or useful answers. All your points should be awarded to folks who helped you get your issue resolved. This helps all of us move up that latter of VMTN success to one day be a guru.

points for me? :smileycool:

ctfoster
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I didn't mean give the points to me ! - it was a general request. Maybe pearly will be nice and kind and slip wgardiner a couple of helpfuls.

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

my apologies. How do I award points to you . I don't see the option anymore.

0 Kudos
wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Its alright mate, no big deal Smiley Happy

Generally if someone solves your problem you'd give them the "correct answer" points, and if someone else helps you'd give them the "helpful" points. I guess it's another means of saying thanks on the forum (apart from just saying thanks Smiley Happy ).. and it recognises members that contribute and help other members out.

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

again, my apologies. As you can see I'm not very experienced in this forum. I'll be sure to remember it next time. I've asked for some help previously and very much appreciated everyone's help.....never really knew about the correct/helpful buttons. Thanks for enlightening me....to everyone.

0 Kudos
ctfoster
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Pearly.

If you revisit the thread relating to your MAC address question you'll see a post from wgardiner - mark that as correct and all things good will be restored to the world!

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

will do. Thanks.

0 Kudos
wgardiner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Cheers guys..

0 Kudos
abrjgl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Check that your temp folder is not missing and it is writeable. I seem to remember having this problem one time when the path to temp was pointing at a folder that didn't exist.

0 Kudos