VMware Cloud Community
ehinkle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

missing update manager tab

I have vsphere installed and the update manager installed but I do not see the update manager tab on the host tabs as well as in the home page, any ideas why this is not showing up. If I look in the plug-in tabs it shows that it was enabled. so any idea why I do not see the tab?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's actually under view at the very top of the menu right under *Management& and it should be labeled software & something->Update Manager.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Be sure that your window is large enough Smiley Happy

The update manager tab is the last one, and in small windows you do not see it

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
leonjehae
Contributor
Contributor

Hi is your problem solved now?

Here the update manager client (under plugins) is installed succesfull but then it is still in the "download and install" option thus also not enabled.

I've tried everything, from upgrading VCenter 2.5 update6 to Vcenter4 and no upgrade at all, Just install from scratch Vphere update1 with Vcenter update1 (patch1) with the same result. When installing the update manager it comes everytime with "the selected drive is less than 20GB (minimum for Update manager)" but there is more then 80GB Free on that partition. Even installed it on a harddrive with more then 250GB freespace, same result.

Version of Updatemanager is 4.0.0.3971

Any ideas anyone?

Thnx,

Leon

0 Kudos
kdon
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue, except the plugin does not even show up in the window. fresh installation of vcenter, and then fresh installation of update manager. Server 2008.

I found another post about taking " out of the PATH variable, however my PATH variable does not even have "..

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
leonjehae
Contributor
Contributor

YES....my Problem is solved now, it was the PATH-issue............................Deleted the two " in de Norton Ghost line en the icon shows up under solutions and applications. Please scroll to the right in the PATH-field to en delete EVERY "-sign..............it worked for me.

Best regards,

Leon Jehae

0 Kudos
leonjehae
Contributor
Contributor

I've read something about an 64-bit issue, is your server 64 or 32 bit?

0 Kudos
kdon
Contributor
Contributor

A reinstallation of update manager fixed my issue. I am running 64 bit. I am not sure what the deal was, same install as the first time. Flakey.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

> I've read something about an 64-bit issue, is your server 64 or 32 bit?

64-bit is irrelevant. It's a plug in. The service may be running but the client will not see it until you install the plug in to manage the update manager.

0 Kudos
eherren
Contributor
Contributor

I had this error of "free space on the selected drive less than 20 GB" though i had plenty of place. And if i went on i had an error with visual studio.

The problem was solved changing admin password of the administrator of the windows server 2003 machine, not using ";" in the password.

Phil

0 Kudos