VMware Cloud Community
wapiti10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

lost ability to manage server 2003 guest

I have lost my ability to manage a couple of guests I have in Virtual Center. I shut down these VM's to perform some maintenance, then when I went to boot them back up, the appeared in the status bar as trying to power on....then they never did. I ended up logging into the ESX host they reside on (via VC) and I was able to boot them up no problem. any suggestions on what may have happened here or what I need to do to fix this?

Thanks,

Dallas
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, if that does not work restart the VirtualCenter Server service on the VC Server and that should do the trick...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Restart the following services on the ESX server:

service mgmt-vmware restart

service vmware-vpxa restart

hostd (mgmt-vmware) is an app that runs in the Service Console that is responsible for managing most of the operations on the ESX machine. It knows about all the VMs that are registered on that host, the luns/vmfs volumes visible by the host, what the VMs are doing, etc. Most all commands or operations come down from VC through it. ie, powering on a VM, vmotion'ing it, creating it, etc.

vpxa also runs on the Service Console and talks to VC. It also acts as an intermediary between VC and hostd.

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
wapiti10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Eric, however that doesn't appear to have done the trick...I restarted the servcies successfully, however the 2 "power on" tasks are still in the "recent tasks" pane as "in progress" and I still cannot manage these servers. Do I need to restart any services on the VIC server?

thanks

Dallas
0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, if that does not work restart the VirtualCenter Server service on the VC Server and that should do the trick...

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
wapiti10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks! it worked.

Dallas
0 Kudos