vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  idle vm

Posted Oct 23, 2016 09:22 PM

We have 700 virtual machines on vcenter. we dont know that who use virtual machines . i checked Idle vm's and there are lots of idle vm's on vcenter. so i want to delete some vm's on my vcenter . what is mean that if vm's idle %100 so vm's running like standby so i can delete it  ? we dont know which vm's running on production systems

Vm NameCPU Idle Time (%)Network IO Idle Time (%)Disk IO idle Time (%)System|Uptime
    VM195.7299.63100494.11 Day(s)
    VM299.4799.87100502.7 Day(s)
    VM3100100100502.7 Day(s)

• 2.  RE: idle vm
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 24, 2016 12:02 AM

VMs idles are virtual machines that are not observed too much CPU, Disk and Network I/O (usage), so you can believe that maybe nobody is using this virtual machine. Instead of delete the virtual machine, power off the virtual machine and wait some days (or weeks) and if nobody complain about that virtual machine, you can delete them safely. If you have some virtual machine backup solution, you can take a full backup before delete the virtual machine, because if anyone complain after you delete the virtual machine, you will still have the chance to restore the virtual machine from a backup.