VMware Cloud Community
Aftenposten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows Server 2008 Customization with vCenter Update 4

Hi,

According to the release notes customization of Server 2008 is supported with Update 4. I thought it would work like the Vista customization, that is, I could just use the customization wizard when cloning. I'm unable to get it to work, or one part of the customization doesn't work and that is joining the domain. Am I missing a step or configuration? Does this work for anyone? Any help that can point me in the right direction to get this to work will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

GB

0 Kudos
20 Replies
phyler
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever find the directions for how to do a Windows 2008 Customization? I have searched and can't find specific directions. Was curious if we need to copy the Windows 2008 sysprep files to a specific spot or what.

Thanks.

Adam

0 Kudos
JoeLyons
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have a look at this:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/934733#934733

Remember to back EVERYTHING up before you change ANYTHING

Remember to back EVERYTHING up before you change ANYTHING and consider awarding points if answers where helpful to you.
0 Kudos
Aftenposten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Adam,

No luck as of yet but I have opened a support request with VMware and hopefully they will be able to figure this out. If and when I get this solved I will try to remember to update this thread.

GB

0 Kudos
alevinson
Contributor
Contributor

Did anyone get anything back form VMware? Was about to open a case myself...need to deploy some 2008 templates today.

0 Kudos
alevinson
Contributor
Contributor

I upgraded vCenter to U4, and 2008 customization is now working!! :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Aftenposten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Alevinson,

Does the vm get added to the domain? Customization works for me too, except the vm doesn't add to the domain.

GB

0 Kudos
alevinson
Contributor
Contributor

I spoke a little too soon. The 2 VMs I deployed boot to the error below, and rebooting just returns to this error. Do yours boot? I did not have these adding to domain, since they were going to be Domain Controllers for a new lab.

Install Windows
The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpeted error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To Install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation.

0 Kudos
alevinson
Contributor
Contributor

Im working on this case now with support. They said its currently "hit or miss" . sysprep for Vista and 2008 is built into the OS, no need to supply any files, or retireve the WAIK kit. For now, Ive pulled the license key, and used Prompt for Machine Name in the customization spec, and this seemed to work. Will post more detail as I find it.

0 Kudos
alevinson
Contributor
Contributor

Was able to complete the customization with a KMS key, still needed to activate. Will try a clone with the join domain option in the next day or so...

0 Kudos
Aftenposten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, mine boots ok. They just don't join the domain. Other than that, good as gold.

0 Kudos
Aftenposten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Support was never able to reproduce the issue. They finally asked if I would mind installing a new Windows 2008 server, make it a template and deploy a new server from this template. I did and it worked like a charm. Just for fun I tried with the old template, still doesn't join the server to the domain. Something is wrong with the first template, although I will not bother to try to find out what.

0 Kudos
Chanaka
Contributor
Contributor

I too have the very same issue here. It just woudn't join the domain. Not quire if this has something to do with the hardware config on the VM turned template.

Just building a brand new vm now with 2008 to be converted to a template and see if that works as Aftenposten's case above

Cheers

Chanaka

0 Kudos
jjgunn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is actually a bug in Vista (probably Win 2008 too).

Simply re-enter your same product key, activate the machine and you should be able to add to the domain.

Vista wants DNS info before it lets you add to the domain

It's weird I know but try it. It worked for me.

0 Kudos
RS_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@jjgunn : Thanks, in my case it was exactly how to resolve the problem. Activate the template or any deployed vm won't join the domain.

Well done !

0 Kudos
Chanaka
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah also you need to remove the complex password policy enforcement (through local policy editor) and should reset the administrator password to blank.

And also ensure that the same VM template is not: " converted back to a vm -> cloned -> converted back to a vm" for more than 3 times as this too could lead in to issues as per release notes on U4.

Kind Regards,

Chanaka Ekanayake

Technical Consultant

Serco Solutions

London Borough of Richmond upon Thames,

Serco Solutions

0 Kudos
RS_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FYI, i didn't have to modify the password policy to make it work.

0 Kudos
obriensl
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue with windows 2008 templates - i can't get them to join my AD domain. I double checked, and the templates are activated, so that isn't a fix for me. Has anyone else gotten any more info on this issue?

thanks

0 Kudos
RS_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@obriensl : recently i had to make a new template because my "old" one didn't to join a domain anymore.

I'll try with vSphere 4...

0 Kudos
milson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

RE: Domain join and vSphere vCenter 4 with 2008 Datacenter Edition x64 SP2 guest, KMS (default) key.

I've tried the suggestions in this thread with no luck on the domain join working. In fact, looking at the sysprep logs, there's no indication whatsoever that any domain join operation was run, requested, or otherwise by the VMware customization process.

It's a brand new from-scratch template, so while I could create a new one that doens't seem likely to be the issue (plus, we can't really count that as 'fixing' the issue now can we?

The VMware side customization logs don't reference any domain joining actions, and they complete with no errors visible in the log or in the guest's event view in vCenter.

0 Kudos