VMware Cloud Community
MikeOD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What "extra" SQL 2008 services needed with VCenter 4.1?

We're setting up a new, clean VCenter 4.1 system on Windows 2008R2 (64 bit).  It's going to have a dedicated installation of SQL 2008 Standard on the same server.  The SQL install will only be used by the VMWare VCenter installation and VMWare update manager on this server.

This is going to be a pretty basic installation with about 25 hosts and around 200 virtual machines.

Do I need any of the SQL "extras" like "SQL Analysis Services", "Integeration Services", "Reporting Services" and/or "VSS Writer"?    The default SQL 2008 install has all those included, but I don't really want to install anything I don't need.    Are there any that I'll be sorry about if I don't install them now?  Would it hurt anything to install them if I don't need them right now?

I'm a Windows and VMWare system admin, but my SQL knowledge is pretty basic.  I can do some simple monitoring, maintenance and configuraiton, but I'll pretty much let the application (VMWare, etc.) manage the database.

I've got the Microsoft descriptions of those services, but it doesn't really tell me if it's something I need to (or should) install for VMWare.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Mike O.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
GaneshNetworks

• Database Engine Services
  • Client Tools Connectivity
  • Reporting Services
  • Integration Services
  • Management Tools (Basic & Complete)

These all are the services you required to install vSphere 4.1, I strongly guess Smiley Wink. You need not worry about the missed services while you installing. If you found that there is some problem with that missed services, we can install later on.

Happy Installing

Thanks,

Ganesh

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
MikeOD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually, I had installed all of the SQL items, but when I was trying to install VCenter, it told me that port 80 was in use.  After some searching, I found that was because the SQL reporting services uses port 80, you need to stop that service to install the VCenter software.  That's what started me wondering if I really needed all the other stuff with SQL.

0 Kudos
GaneshNetworks

I recommend you to check this post: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/279476?start=0&tstart=0

Conclusin of the above post URL: They planned to install SQL and VC in a different machine. LOL.

FYI: SQL Reporting service is not mandatory, but you can deliver a variety of interactive and printed reports. So the decision is all up to you.

Thanks,

Ganesh

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
MikeOD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks.  I had stopped the reporting services and set it to "manual" so that I could get the VCenter install.  If everythign else works OK, I guess I'll just leave the other SQL items on there for now.

0 Kudos