VMware Cloud Community
YousifQaddoura
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware License and Memory

Dear All,

I have an explanation regarding the new licensing module and memory.

I read that standard license with give 32GB Memory/CPU, which means if I have a server with 2 CPU's, I need 2 licenses and I can have max of 64 GB memory allocated, is this true ?

But what I am facing that I have an ESX 5 Standard license for 2 CPU's and I have 128 GB memory installed on this ESX and I allocated 92 GB memory to the vm machine, is this valid thing or what shall I do ?

thanks

regards

Yousif

0 Kudos
5 Replies
iw123
Commander
Commander

Hi,

I believe to meet the vram licensing requirements in your scenario you would need an additional license to cover the memory you have configured for that VM. See this link for more info: http://blogs.vmware.com/rethinkit/2011/08/changes-to-the-vram-licensing-model-introduced-on-july-12-...

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
YousifQaddoura
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

my question why it is working in my case, and is it ok to continue in that without adding license?

thanks

regards 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The amount of physical memory is only relevant for the free edition which is limited to 32GB RAM and vRAM entitlement. For all paid editions it's only the vRAM entitlement that counts. With the Essentials editions the vRAM entitlement is technically enforced, which means you will not be able to power on VMs if this would violate the vRAM entitlement. For all other editions the limit is not technically enforced, but the administrator will be informed by vCenter Server about the usage.

In order to run your workload you either need to upgrade your 2 licenses to Enterprise (2 x 64GB/CPU) or add a third Standard license (3 x 32GB/CPU) to cover the 92GB VM. (Btw. the vRAM is capped at 96GB for a single VM) In order to be able to cover your vRAM with a third Standard license, you'll have to manage the host with vCenter Server (which also consumes vRAM if deployed virtually) which pools the vRAM entitlement.

Remember that the vRAM counts against the assigned RAM plus the VM's memory overhead.

André

0 Kudos
YousifQaddoura
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

thanks for the clarification, but can I run it in the current situation till I get the new license, or it may stopped?

regards 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

As mentioned above, the vRAM entitlement is not technically enforced for Standard, Enterprise and Enterprise Plus licenses. You will be able to power on and run VM's even if you violate the vRAM entitlement, but it's your responsibility to purchase additional licenses.

André.

0 Kudos