vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  Vmotion cabling and VLan question...

Posted Aug 03, 2009 10:20 PM

Hi,

I understand vlans and how they work, but I'm not really a "network" guy and I have a few questions...

My servers are dl380 g6 with 8 nic ports. I plan on using two for the service console, two for vmotion and the other 4 for my production virtual switch. I know there are more than way to setup vswitches, but this is my game plan so far.

My question is how do I configure a vlan and segment the traffic for vmotion? I have 4 ports on my physical switch that I have set aside for this vmotion vlan. How do I go about setting this up? Wwhat do I do on the switch and how and do I have to create a seperate subnet in DNS?ables

My plan is to run the cables from the ports on the esx hosts that i have set aside for vmotion to the ports on the physical switch..

Im not too sure about this...

thanks! points will be awarded to everyone.

• 2.  RE: Vmotion cabling and VLan question...
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 03, 2009 10:58 PM

Hello.

My question is how do I configure a vlan and segment the traffic for vmotion? I have 4 ports on my physical switch that I have set aside for this vmotion vlan. How do I go about setting this up? Wwhat do I do on the switch and how and do I have to create a seperate subnet in DNS?ables

What kind of physical switch are you using? Here is a link to the Cisco documentation for creating VLANs on Catalyst switches. Just create a Layer 2 VLAN and create the VMkernel interfaces with the correct IP addresses. Don't worry about DNS or routing and keep it simple, if you can.

Good Luck!

• 3.  RE: Vmotion cabling and VLan question...

Posted Aug 04, 2009 12:27 AM

I agree with vmroyale and since you are dedicating 2 physical NICs to your vmotion network you really do not need a seperate vlan you can just place your vmotion network on its own network segment -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

• 4.  RE: Vmotion cabling and VLan question...

Posted Aug 04, 2009 11:08 AM

"I agree with vmroyale and since you are dedicating 2 physical NICs to your vmotion network you really do not need a seperate vlan you can just place your vmotion network on its own network segment - "

Hi,

Thanks for your help. Can you explain what you meant by not needing a seperate vlan? Are you saying I can just put the Vmotion traffic on the same physical switch as my server?

I am dedicatiing two NICS on each host for vmotion, but it's my understanding that the second nic just acts as a failover, correct?

Sorry, Im a bit confused.