VMware Cloud Community
rogerfitz
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual server startup/shutdown

I have 4 esx servers running 3.0.2. I have set up the automatic startup and shutdown in virtual center 2.0.2. 3 of the 4 servers work as expected when the ESX servers are rebooted they start up the guest vm's but the the 4th on doesn't. I have them all configured the same as far as I can tell. Is there any configuration files I can check to see if they are correct. what should I look for in logs and which logs?

Thanks for the help.

Roger

0 Kudos
2 Replies
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert

Does the problem VM have the proper VM tools installed?

As a test, you might try to start the problem VM via the command:

#vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/path/to/VM/VM.vmx start

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
ejward
Expert
Expert

Are these hosts in a cluster with DRS? I have a similar issue. If a VM is set to auto-start while it resides on host 1, if DRS forces it to move to host 2, it goes back to manual startup. I find myself having to check it every day or so. There's another thread around here on the subject. It was determined that this is the way it has to work because the information on VM startup is stored on the host. If a new VM shows up on that host, it doesn't know what to do with it. I was going to open an SR on this to confirm this but, i've got a couple others I'm working on now.